Tuesday, February 7, 2012

2011 Recap (Warning: Extreme Navel-Gazing Ahead)

I'm taking this week off from Eco Tip Tuesday because I've been meaning to do this recap of 2011 survey thingamajig for quite some time now. I filled it out last year for 2010 and would like to do it every year. I think it will be interesting to look back on these years from now. So, here goes...

1) What did you do in 2011 that you'd never done before?
Celebrated six years of marriage. Watched my son graduate from preschool, and then start kindergarten. Tried indoor rock-climbing. Visited Farm Sanctuary in Orland. Participated in Farm Sanctuary's Walk for Animals. Took Nori camping for the first (and second) time in her life. Participated in Flickr's Project 365 (and then quit after 232 days). Took a (very brief) photography course with my bestie. Baked my own bread. Purchased a phone with functions beyond making phone calls and taking crappy photos.

2) Did you keep your new year's resolutions and did you make any for 2012?
I made a lot of very specific new year's resolutions for 2011. In keeping them, I'd say I was about 20% successful. I don't want to talk about it. For 2012, I've chosen to err on the side of spare and vague: 1) avoid The Heavy*, 2) be kind to myself and others, and 3) continually check in with myself to make sure my actions are in line with my aspirations. Oh! And, 4) create!

3) Did anyone close to you give birth?
No.

4) Did anyone close to you die?
No, thankfully.

5) What countries did you visit.
None. Bah!

6) What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
The intestinal fortitude necessary to "move confidently in the direction of my dreams." Also, a magical map leading the way.

7) What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
While I experienced many memorable moments during the course of the year, there is only one specific date that will remain "etched" upon my memory: April 22nd, the day my younger sister got married.

8) What was your biggest achievement of the year?
My inner life in 2011 was quite complex. I felt compelled to really dig deep and analyze my motives, my actions, my aspirations, the role I play in the lives of others, etc. It wasn't my "happiest" year, and I felt relief in seeing it come to a close. But I am proud of the inner work that I did, and now feel more secure in who I am as a person and what I can bring to the world. I feel like I can now more fully express myself without worrying so much about what people think of me.

9) What was your biggest failure?
Taking myself too seriously. (Judging from Answer #8, that hasn't stopped.) But also? Not taking myself seriously enough.

10) Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing major.

11) What was the best thing you bought?
Ikea cocoon swings for the kids' rooms, my immersion blender, my 96-piece set of professional quality Tombow dual-tip markers. Also, my iPhone, which is simultaneously the worst thing I bought.

12) Where did most of your money go?
Mortgage, food/drink/entertainment.

13) What did you get really excited about?
Maggie's bachelorette party, Maggie's wedding, romantic overnighter in Mill Valley, book club meetings, birthday dinners with the ladies, 4th of July trip to Oregon, summer camping trips, Evan's preschool graduation, trip to Squaw Valley for Stephen's birthday.

14) What song will always remind you of 2011?
  • I'm gonna say Animal by Neon Trees, the song I wanted to hate, but found myself inexplicably drawn to regardless. Poppy, upbeat tune that's fun to dance to and incredibly satisfying to belt out with all your heart, combined with saucy lyrics that make me nostalgic for my early 20s...hmm...maybe the attraction isn't so inexplicable after all!
  • Oh, but also: Help I'm Alive by Metric. I liked this song pretty well when I heard it on the radio, but when I listened to it during the opening credits of Miss Representation, I became completely hooked. It soon became my own personal I Am Woman, Hear Me Roar theme song.
  • Last one, I swear: Panic Switch by Silversun Pickups. The driving baseline, the messy guitar, the slightly androgynous vocals...When I was feeling moody, which was often in 2011, I'd put on my headphones, close my eyes, and play this song real loud, just trying to sort of envelop myself in the sound.
15) Compared to this time last year, are you:
Happier or sadder? Happier.
Thinner or fatter? The same.
Richer or poorer? The same.

16) What do you wish you'd done more of?
Trying new things. Escaping to more natural surroundings. Volunteering. Meditating**.

17) What do you wish you'd done less of?
Staring at a computer screen.

18) How did you spend Christmas?
In town with family.

19) What was your favorite TV program? Portlandia, After Lately, Boardwalk Empire, So You Think You Can Dance

20) What were your favorite books of the year?
'Lit' by Mary Karr, 'The Help' by Kathryn Stockett, 'Vegan's Daily Companion' by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau, 'The Full Cupboard of Life' by Alexander McCall Smith.

21) What was your favorite music from this year?
I finally hopped on the Pandora train this year (just as everyone else seems to be hopping off in favor of the Spotify train). The stations that got the most airplay (when I was in charge): Talking Heads, The Black Keys, Nina Simone, Raffi, and Depeche Mode. I was also into Florence and the Machine, The Naked and Famous, tUnE-yArDs (thanks, Ariel!), Metric, Silversun Pickups, Yael Naim, Michael Franti and Spearhead, Joanna Newsom, Muse, Mumford & Sons, Adele, and Lana Del Rey. (I became a tad obsessed with this song of hers. And, yes, I realize all the critics hate her. But, I don't know, there's something sort of interesting and sad about her that I'm drawn to. Plus, I'll never understand why people have to be so mean.)***

22) What were your favorite films of the year?
Bridesmaids, Midnight in Paris, Miss Representation

23) What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Stephen was working on my actual birthday, so Keri offered to watch the kiddos for me so I could get away for a little self-pampering. When I returned, she and the kids surprised me with an adorable little party, complete with decorations and a homemade birthday crown. It was awesome, truly. Also celebrated a little later in the month with a wine tasting excursion via limousine with my closest girlfriends. So, so fun. I turned 33.

24) What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
See answer to question #6 (intestinal fortitude, magic map, yada yada yada).

25) How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
I really don't have a concept. I just buy what I'm drawn to, assuming it fits my body and my budget. I tried to be a little more realistic when shopping this past year, keeping in mind the very casual lifestyle I lead. For example, do I really need those super cute color-blocked peep-toe stiletto pumps? No. No I do not.

26) What kept you sane?
Ha!

27) Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
What other people think of me is none of my business.


*The Heavy: a term I use to describe an obsessive, persistent, and deep sadness born not from specific circumstances in one's own life, but from the keen awareness of the general, collective suffering of humankind.
**I don't know how to meditate, but I think it would be cool.
***When I first wrote this post, after mentioning Lana Del Rey, I wrote, "Hey man, I never claimed Shitty Music and Music I Like are mutually exclusive categories!" One of my (very vague) new year's resolutions was to check in with myself often to make sure my actions are in line with my aspirations. One of my aspirations is to be authentic. Another is to be kind to myself and others. When I wrote that line, I was being neither authentic nor kind. I was nervous about people judging me for liking her music and I wrote it to make sure you know that I know it's not actually good. Pretty pathetic. So, I felt compelled to correct it.

5 comments:

  1. You are one of the MOST interesting and entertaining survey answerer I know. :-) This was worth waiting for. Also, you have such a way of describing things in the coolest/smartest way possible...I'm not gonna lie, I had to look "intestinal fortitude" up. I can always count of you and Ariel to expand my vocabulary.

    Also, your valuable life lesson is genius...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Erin and forgot to mention how great your life lesson is...never heard it worded that way...so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must admit, I can't take credit for the wording of the life lesson. It's something I heard or read a loooong time ago, and it's just now starting to sink into my psyche, finally. :)

    Thanks for the super fun and sweet comment, E! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just noticed Mayim used the same quote! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that! I kinda' wish she was my friend. ;-)

      Delete