Thursday, February 2, 2012

Motivation for the Days I'm Feeling Sloth-Like

Dear Alison,

Hey girl, you've been doing really well with the working out these days! I'd like to give you a little pat on the back for that, but I'd also like to remind you that this is pretty typical behavior for you in January and February. Without fail, the new year brings you a sense of hope and enthusiasm, like you can take on the world! But, over the course of the year, this hope and enthusiasm waxes and wanes, gains momentum, then grinds to a halt, over and over and over. Can we try and stop this cycle? Can we try to be a little more consistent this year? After all, you're certainly not getting any younger.

Now, I've never been a fan of the popular practice of beating oneself up in order to inspire "good" behavior. Making yourself feel like a turd will never bring about positive change, of that I am convinced. With that in mind, I'd like to take a moment to focus on the positives of being active (rather than focusing on the negatives of not).

So. Like I've said, you've been working out. Have you noticed something? That feeling in your body as you move throughout your day? What is that? I'll tell you what that is. It's your muscles. You notice them more now, don't you? No, I don't mean in the mirror. I mean when you move. You notice the muscles in your arms, in your legs, your abdominals, your bum. You feel them stretch and contract and just generally move in appropriate ways to better support those 33-year-old bones of yours. You pull in your stomach, knowing that doing so will support your back. You straighten your posture. You walk with confidence. This confidence, by the way, does not come from knowing you have a perfect body. You don't. (And besides, what does that even mean?) Sure, sometimes you feel "hot", sometimes you feel sexy and desirable, but those things are simply icing on the cake. The best part? You feel strong. Limber. Balanced. Capable. In a nutshell, you feel healthy. In an even smaller nutshell, you just feel good. Happy.

Keep this in mind on the days you just want to sit on your bum, stuffing Oreos into your pie-hole, telling yourself you deserve a day of rest. Of course you deserve a day of rest! But it certainly doesn't have to involve Oreos or sitting on the couch all day. Go for a leisurely walk. Kick off your shoes, head to the backyard, and just do some stretching in the grass, the sun on your face. Wrestle with your children. Jump on a trampoline. Dance.

Just don't be a sloth. It may feel good in the short term. But, in the long run, it only serves to make you feel weak, and achy, and old. You're only 33. You don't need to feel that way. Remember: strong, limber, balanced, and capable. THAT'S how you want to feel.

* * *

I know, I know, you have nothing against sloths. In fact, you quite like the furry little guys. (Although, probably not as much as Kristen Bell.) The slow pace they maintain in life has a beauty all its own, and is perfectly suited to their species. However, you are not a sloth. You are a human, and the human body was made to move. When we cease to do so, our bodies fall to disrepair far sooner than their time.

So, what are you waiting for? Get moving!

Sincerely,
Alison

I have a feeling he feels quite capable.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this Ali! All things I can relate to. When I was reading this, I kept thinking "Bodies in motion, stay in motion". You are so inspiring. I know this was a letter to you, but thanks! I needed to hear it too!

    ReplyDelete