Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Cleanse, Day Twelve

Wow, Day 12?  Really??  It's amazing how quickly you can adapt to a new routine if you simply allow yourself to.  I'm nearly two-thirds of the way through this thing and, I have to say, it isn't the slightest bit difficult anymore.  This new way of eating that was so foreign at first, that had me scattered and anxious and grumpy and in pain for the first few days is now just my normal everyday routine.  I am spending FAR more time in the kitchen and at the grocery store and meal-planning than I used to, but it doesn't even feel like work anymore.  I'm actually sort of enjoying it, embracing my newly-discovered domesticity.  I find the food intensely satisfying, continue to have tons of energy, and am sleeping better than I have in years.  Honestly, YEARS.  I hardly remember EVER sleeping this well.  It really is fantastic.

So, do I miss ANYTHING from my old way of life?  Yes.  I miss gluten.  I miss my whole-grain breads, pastas, and pancakes.  The gluten-free versions made with brown rice are alright, but they don't have the rich, nutty flavor and hearty texture I so love.  I look forward to eating those again.

I miss the TASTE of coffee, but not the caffeine.  Herbal tea is nice in the afternoon or evening, but it just doesn't hit the spot for me in the morning like a mug of hot black coffee.  I'm seeing decaf in my future.

Every once in a while, I REALLY miss chocolate, particularly dark chocolate.  Oddly enough, I have found that just smelling it gives me enough sensory pleasure to satisfy the craving.  Of course, nothing compares to smelling and then actually TASTING dark chocolate, and when these three weeks are up, I will do just that.  And when I do, I will do it very, very slowly.  And probably with my eyes closed.

2 comments:

  1. I can relate to the eyes closed thing. Makes a lot of things better - eating, singing,... :-) Enjoyed reading this, A!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will buy you a big dark chocolate bunny.

    ReplyDelete