Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Project 358: Days 209 - 215

Day 209: Fail. No Photo.
Day 210: Fail. No Photo.

I've been writing that so much these days, it almost feels silly to say that I'm still taking part in the project. Except, after taking a moment to figure out exactly how many days I've missed, I discovered the number is only 15. Out of a total of 221 days so far, I'm thinkin' 15 misses ain't bad. And so, I continue on with the project for the remaining 137 days. In fact,  I think I'll challenge myself to make it there without missing any more!

Onward!


Day 211: Miss Mazzy's Birthday Crown


Evan, and his lifelong friend Mazzy, were in the same parent participation preschool class this past year and, as  participating parents, Mazzy's mom Keri and I were strongly encouraged to take on duties that went beyond the requirement of helping out in class once a week. The job I chose was that of "social coordinator" which, as it turned out, really just involved making crowns for the children whose birthdays fell within the school year. I thoroughly enjoyed this crafty task but was saddened by the fact that I wouldn't be making one for Mazzy, as her birthday is in August. So, Keri and I decided it would be fun for Mazzy if I made her a crown anyway and brought it to her 5th birthday party. Pictured above is Miss Mazzy's crown. I may have put a little more bling on hers than I did the other children's, but can you blame me? I mean, she's practically my neice! I wanted that crown to sparkle as much as she does. (It doesn't even come close.)



Day 212: Volunteer


This little green friend pictured above was not planted by me, nor anyone else that resides in my home. He volunteered himself as an addition to our garden, right smack in the middle of some irrigation tubing. Still, we decided to let the little guy grow. I'm still not sure what he is, though. At first, I thought cucumber, because the leaves are similar and, much like cucumber, this plant has those delightfully "grabby" little curlicue tendrils. But then the thing bloomed and I realized it couldn't be cucumber; the blossoms were much too large and resembled those of zucchini. Except, zucchini doesn't have the curlicues, so I'm confused. Our little volunteer continues to grow at an alarming rate, but has yet to bear fruit. Anyone out there have any idea what it is? (I'm hoping it's winter squash!)


Day 213: Fail. No photo.


Day 214: Adventure Village


A week after Evan's two night visit to Grandma Kim's house, he had the chance to do it all over again. This time while he was away, we decided to take Elinor to the Granite Arch, a rock-climbing gym in Rancho Cordova. She's always been a climber and we thought she might have fun with a little bouldering at the gym. We chose the Granite Arch over Pipeworks (where Stephen and I had a date earlier this year) because they have a play area for kids that they call Adventure Village. It turned out that Elinor was not the least bit interested in bouldering, mostly because she was intimated by the size of it I think, but she had fun playing in Adventure Village, pictured above and below. That said, I don't think we'll be going back. The climbing and bouldering areas were very nice, but the play area didn't look very well maintained and, with shredded old tires used as the floor covering, it felt really dirty (Elinor's face, arms and hands were dark grey by the time we left). I mean, sure it was bouncy, and I'm all for recycling, but old tires? In a playground? Seems kind of, I don't know, toxic? Anyway, we definitely didn't feel the experience was worth the $9 drop-in fee. Live and learn.



Whoa, trippy.






Peek-a-boo!









One of the best parts of having Evan gone for a couple of days was watching him come home and give his sister a HUGE hug, lifting her off the ground and squeezing her with all his might. As much fun as he had at Grandma Kim's, he missed his sister. And she missed him. Having one child may be simpler, but man I'm glad I had two, if only for moments like that. And this:


Day 215: Distance Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

9 comments:

  1. I'm loving these photos that Stephen is taking of you, A. Cool shot.

    That squash is fun(ny)! Please let us know if it bares fruit. That's awesome. :)

    That photo of Mazzy's crown is so vibrant, just as her smile was when she pulled it out of the bag. She wore that thing all around fairytale town. Thank you sooo much for doing that, it made her feel super special, especially coming from you. <3

    Sweetness of Nori with her brudder. I love them on the carpet.... just so homey and secure.

    15?? That's nuthin'! Rock on ,lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look how long and lean your babies are now Ali! Wow. I love Evan's short haircut. You take your kids to the most interesting explorations. I love Mazzy's crown, you did a mighty good job. Good thing it wasn't during the school year, the other kids might have been jealous of the bling!

    I doesn't seem like you've missed many photos at all, I think you are doing a superb job of keeping up with the project. :) Keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinking it might be a pumpkin vine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keri, did the crown end up making it home?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Photo of kids in underwear reading classic. Love it. G-G-Ma

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is it that those two are inspecting on the floor? That's a cute one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Playing a game on Daddy's iPod, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ali, unfortunately, no. *sigh* I asked Josh as we were leaving if the "pink crown" was in the bags and he said yes he thought so. We get home, no crown. I asked Josh "what's up?"... he holds up the "pink" princess party hat. I said, "That's not a crown." :/ I called FT and asked if it was turned into lost and found, no luck. Glad we have pictures of her wearing it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, bummer. Totally understandable, though. I'm glad she enjoyed it while she had it. Hope it helped to make her feel even more like a princess on her special day. :)

    ReplyDelete