Monday, February 6, 2012

Required Viewing: Miss Representation

Way back in October, I watched a documentary called Miss Representation. Since then, I've sat myself down and tried to write a blog post about it probably a dozen times. Nothing I wrote seemed to do the film justice and was ultimately scrapped.

But this film is important. Having seen it (three times now, truth be told), I almost feel like it's my duty to spread the word, as silly as that may seem. So, lacking adequate words of my own, I'll let the trailer do the talking...


I still get goosebumps every time I watch that. And that's just the trailer! The film itself, written, directed, and produced by Jennifer Seibel Newsom, is at once shocking, disturbing, enlightening, and inspirational. Please watch it. (Find a screening near you here; the DVD will soon be available for purchase here and rental here.) While you're at it, have your spouse watch it too. And your children, provided they're old enough (8 maybe? 10? I suppose the answer depends more on maturity level than years of age). 

After watching the film, you may feel inspired to take action (I did). But you may also feel a little lost and helpless: the problem's so big, what can I possibly do to help? (I can relate). Luckily, the documentary has an outstanding accompanying website, packed with great ideas for getting involved. I've signed up to receive weekly action alerts (emails are sent out once a week outlining one small thing you can do to help the cause) and by "liking" the film on Facebook, I stay up to date on their latest endeavors (and often get links to some great articles). If I can find the time, I just might make my own YouTube video, describing to the media how I'd like to be represented, and submit it to the website. Go here to see inspiring videos from other women and girls, or to upload your own. 

One of the most exciting developments that has come from this outstanding documentary is the Miss Representation curriculum now available in the U.S and Canada for:
  • K-12 schools
  • Universities/Colleges
  • Libraries
According to the website, "The curriculum asks girls and boys alike to think about the effects of the images they see - particularly the ways media affects women and girls' ability to see themselves as leaders and be seen as leaders by others in society." The fact that this curriculum exists is incredibly exciting to me. Children are the future. By starting this critical conversation with them now, dramatic change is truly possible. If you are a teacher or administrator, please consider purchasing the curriculum. Considering the important and influential role you play in in the lives of children, imagine the impact you could make!

Okay, end of spiel. Watch the movie. Get inspired. Get involved. The true voices of women deserve to heard.

9 comments:

  1. Wow Ali, I got goosebumps too. How did you see the movie 3 times since October? I looked for screenings, but I want to watch it NOW.

    So excited to see what I can do, and get inspired. :) Thank you so much for bringing this film to my attention. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I guess I should have clarified that, huh? The movie had its broadcast premiere on the Oprah Winfrey Network (OWN) in October 2011. I DVRd it so I could watch it multiple times, because I'm obsessive like that. ;-) I just checked the OWN website to see if they were planning to air it again, and found this, written in November: "No exact date is planned for this to re-air, but please check back to our site for any re-airings in 2012." I hope you can see it soon, Mel. I think you'll find it quite moving. :)

    Read more: http://www.oprah.com/own-doc-club/Miss-Representation-Trailer#ixzz1leQzP45q

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh. I love OWN. Too bad! I might have to watch it at hour house. :)

      Delete
    2. Oh my goodness, Mel, I would LOVE that. You have no idea. :) I'm not deleting it from my DVR any time soon, so just let me know! I'll host my own screening! :-D

      Delete
  3. inspiring post ali, but for some reason i can't see the trailer. it's just about three inches of white space. in any even, i've added it to my netflix queue, to save.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so odd. Others have been able to view it, so I'm not sure what the issue is. Regardless, it's a great film, so it will be worth the wait. :)

      Delete
  4. Loved hearing the girls speak out during this trailer. And FYI, the video shows up fine for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin, the movie is FILLED with intelligent, articulate, discerning young women. They are so inspiring to me!

      Delete