Thursday, August 11, 2011

Date Night at the Fair (Project 358: Day 201)

For the past couple of years, in addition to taking the kids to the Fair, Stephen and I have started a tradition of Date Night at the Fair. We had our first date night at the fair in 2005, back in the footloose and fancy-free days before we had children and, oh boy, did we have fun! Our date nights there now take us back to that time, when we were newly in love, playful and flirtatious. When we go without our children, we are able to take our time seeing the things we want to see without having to cater to the wants and needs of the kids. And then, as the sun goes down and the lights of the midway start to sparkle, we become children ourselves. Well, children who drink beer, that is.


At the AMAZING vegetable and flower garden, one of our favorite exhibits.












Here comes the sun...






So Sacramento.






Heading towards the midway!






On that ride that swings you around in circles, nearly parallel to the ground. Okay, not quite, but it sure feels that way!






I hadn't ridden this ride since I was a teenager. I was a wee bit concerned I might puke.






Nobody puked, but we did get a little dizzy.






Waiting in line...






Day 201: Weeee! In love on the ferris wheel, the wind in our hair...






oh so moody






The lights! Oh, how I love the lights!






On another, bigger ferris wheel, way up high.






I love him.



I am a HUGE fan of photo booths and Stephen and I make a point of stepping into one for the classic strip of cheesy photos every year at the Fair (we also try to do this when we take the kids, but they don't always comply with our request). Here is this year's strip o' pics (for some reason, we decided to include our beers this time 'round):



1) Why are we never ready for the first photo? 2) We like beer! 3) Gotta have a kissy-face photo 4) Let's do this every year, forever and ever, until we grow old and die.

6 comments:

  1. I just have to use bullet points:

    These photos could be used in some hip Sacramento scene magazine featuring the State Fair for sooo many reasons...

    1) You guys clearly make an attractive couple/pair of models.

    2) You two are genuinely having the time of your lives, together and in love. The sweetest.

    3) Your photos (even in b/w) make the fair come alive for us! I mean, I just adore these photos...and frankly, Ali, you look so fantastically gorgeous in all of these. I want to date you.

    4) The film strip photo is one of my favorite traditions of yours. You guys rock the photo booth.

    Seriously....such a fun and sexy post. Eye candy for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I love him" is my most favoritest of you. Darling and sexy and adorable all at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun and sexy for sure, Keri!

    I agree the b/w's of the midway are striking! What a cool idea for artwork to hang on the wall of a kids room or a series of them down a hallway.

    My favorites are the flower garden photos, The AWESOME sunflower, the one of Stephen mid-swing on the Adult kiddie swing ride (I really almost DID puke the last time I rode that one), the Ferris wheel in color, and the "I love him" one is just the sweetest, you two look like a couple of smitten teenagers! Love your hand on your face.

    Your photos made me wish I was there. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been waiting for this post! And I loved it so much. All of the photographs are so great Ali, is this with your point and shoot? I can't imagine you lugging your other camera around and taking it on the rides. ;) I am amazed. Do you use Photoshop? Or a free editing service? My favorites are "oh so moody" and "i love him", and also the cool shots of the lights an the midway.

    Happy and In Love are the two emotions that come out so clearly and beautifully in photographs. You two look like you're having the time of your life, and freakin' smokin' hot. Exactly what Keri said, it should be a photo spread in Sacramento Magazine!

    I always think of the fair as totally overwhelming, hot, and mostly boring. I haven't been for about 15 years, and I clearly was doing it all wrong, and never actually went on rides at the midway. What a fair snob I was, and now look at all the fun I was missing. Next time I will go and try it with beer!

    Totally makes me miss Sacramento.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything Keri and Erin said I couldn't say any better. Jean

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh, thanks for all the super fun comments, ladies! <3

    Mel, yes, these were taken with my point and shoot. No WAY was I taking my expensive camera to the Fair! ;-) Currently, I use a free online photo editor (picnik) to edit my photos, but I may make the switch to Photoshop Elements eventually. But, really, there is so much you can do with picnik and it is SO user-friendly. You should check it out! I mean, if you're interested. :)

    I suppose the choice to use b&w for photos of a fair midway is slightly unusual. I started out doing it for the ones of me and Stephen because I had to use flash and the b&w just made those photos look better. Obviously, I didn't use flash on the photo of the ferris wheel, but I tried it in b&w just for the heck of it and I loved it!

    Once again, thanks so much for the sweet comments. They were so fun to read!

    ReplyDelete