Sunday, January 23, 2011

Make A Wish (Project 358: Day 15)

Day 15: Make a Wish
Yesterday was what I consider to be the perfect Winter day: bright sun, blue sky, puffy white clouds, and air so cool and crisp you almost wish you could take a bite out of it. We took a walk with the kids early in the day and about halfway through, Evan decided that he wanted to take his shirt off. Elinor quickly followed suit. Immediately, I put up a weak protest, "Come on, guys, leave your shirts on," but was (not surprisingly) ignored. My eyes darted around nervously, trying to glimpse the expressions of passersby. God, what must people think of me, letting my children run around half naked on a Winter's day! I realized in that moment why I felt so uncomfortable about my children taking their shirts off. I was not worried about them being too cold. My children are perfectly capable of determining whether or not they are comfortable and will most certainly let me know when they are not. No, my discomfort came from my fear of people thinking poorly of me, my fear of being judged, of being deemed a "bad mother." When I realized this, I put away any notion of trying to get my children clothed again and simply enjoyed watching their beautiful young bodies running and dancing with joy, the sun warming their soft, pale skin.

If I have one wish for my children it is that they never feel as though they have to be anything other than themselves. I don't want them to care what other people think of them! Oh, I want them to be kind, of course. That goes without saying. But I don't want them to ever feel that they have to change who they are in order to please someone else. Now, I figure the only chance I have of giving them this gift of confidence and self-worth is by modeling it to them through my own actions. This is a tall order. While I am worlds more confident now than I was throughout my teens and early (to mid-) 20s, I am still plagued with self-doubt and insecurity; these fears are deep-seated. And so I start small. Change in action can only occur after successful change of thought patterns. Exercise One: let the children run around half-naked, outside on a Winter's day. Take a photo. Post said photo on the internet. And don't give a damn what people have to say about it!

6 comments:

  1. I love that photo. Is she holding a bug? Alison, I admire you. Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Jean, thank you! That really means a lot to me.
    She is holding a dandelion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This photo looks as though it was taken in the the middle of the summer...what glorious sunshine! Thank you for your candidness on a subject that a lot of parents (me included)struggle with. Your kids will have one heck of a childhood with you as their mama. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bravo Ali! For posting this precious pic of Elinor and for the encouragement through your writing to follow suit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. there was many a chilly california winter morning that my skinny little spencer would head off with me to preschool in flip flops, shorts, and a t-shirt. i'd tell him to bring a windbreaker just in case. which he'd never need. (until we moved back east, of course: it was 9 degrees this morning.)

    now my boys, teenagers, head off to unseemly liaisons, purple haze wafting in their wake. i push back where i can, guide when possible, and cross my fingers, sending them prayers of loving-kindness under my breath. there are days i manage to produce several dozen new gray hairs, but there are days when i feel the kids are all right.

    i think you are right on with your attitude and approach. keep your hand on the plow, but hold on lightly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that, Pete. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete