Sunday, August 28, 2011

Hot Fun In The Summertime (Project 358: Day 230)

The other day, my mom and I decided to make the most of the hot summer weather and take the kids to Bertha Henschel park in East Sacramento. Located on 45th Street between A and B, Bertha Henschel is a real gem. In addition to standard playground equipment, basketball courts, a soccer field, and picnic areas, there is a small fenced-in wading pool for children 7 and younger. On one end of the wading pool is a giant, mushroom-shaped fountain that dispenses a constant stream of water for children to play in. The kids had a blast and my mom and I had a lovely time relaxing in the ample shade watching them play.

Unfortunately, due to dwindling city funding, the pool at Bertha Henschel park may not be open next summer. Volunteers are working hard to raise the $22,000 dollars necessary to save it (yikes!). It would be a real tragedy if this pool were to close. It is obviously well loved by children and parents alike; the place was packed.

If you'd like to help out, all fundraising is being funneled through the non-profit Gifts To Share. Send your tax deductible donation (Tax ID # 94-29285546) to:

Gifts To Share, Inc.
915 I Street, 5th Floor
Sacramento, CA 95814
(Please write "Bertha Henschel" in the memo line.)

Or donate online www.giftstoshare.org by clicking on their "Donate Now" link and then designating Bertha Henschel Pool in the "Program Designation" tab.

Note: all money raised will remain with the park even if the City is unable to fund the pool. The money will then be used for desired park improvements.

I do so hope that we are able to keep the pool open another year. Just look at the fun we had...




































































Day 230: Pure Delight












Photo by my mom (KP) (Edited by AS)






Photo by KP (Edited by AS)

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos, girl! Ev is the highlight for me in these photos. What a smile he has on him. :) In addition to the cute kiddo photos a favorite of mine is the purple pail and the one with you and the kids on the tire swing by your mom. Lovely post!

    (We still on for going this week!? I hope so!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, let's! Stephen works Tues/Wed. Would either of those days work for you?

    I was a little frustrated because there was such bright light behind the kids that the kids themselves turned out a little dark in the photos. I did what I could with picnik, but I'm still not totally satisfied. But, yes, Evan's smile melts my heart in these. :) Thanks for your sweet comments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always a treat for me to see you in photos with your two kiddos...yay for moms!

    Looks like a really fun time was had by all. That mushroom fountain is awesome. Where were spray-grounds when we were kids?

    ReplyDelete