Thursday, July 14, 2011

Time For Change (Project 358: Days 181 - 184)

Day 181: Fail. No photo.

Day 182: Fail. No photo.

Day 183: Fail. No photo.

Day 184: Fail. No photo.

For the past few months, I've been struggling with mild depression. It hasn't been constant but rather has descended upon me in waves, crushing me emotionally and psychologically one day, and the next, receding just enough to make me think I was finally in the clear, only to be hit with it again a few days later. Last week, it all came to a head when we returned from a fun but stressful trip to Oregon and Stephen had to leave for his (48 hour) work shift the next day. It's hard for me to explain how I felt over those two days. I felt antsy, like I needed to get things done, but lacked any necessary motivation. I felt lonely and like I needed to talk to someone, yet declined the usual visit with my parents. I felt irritated by my children and trapped by my position as a stay-at-home mom, and simultaneously guilty for feeling those things, knowing deep down how very lucky I am to be able to spend this time with them while they are still young. At my core was a deep sense of self-loathing and in my head, a hurricane of thoughts that I couldn't make sense of. In a nutshell, I felt like I was going crazy. And I did NOT feel like taking photos, hence the series of "failures" listed above.

After the 48, Stephen came home and we spent day one of his four days off cleaning the house because I was scheduled to host a book club meeting on day two. I was still depressed, but too busy to really dwell on it. Day two rolled around and the morning was filled with me feverishly vacuuming and grocery shopping and washing dishes and trying to make my house look more like adults actually reside there along with the children. Shortly before show time, my amazing husband loaded our beautiful children in the car and blew me a kiss before heading out for a day of fun at the zoo, preceded by lunch at Burr's Fountain. (I can't thank you enough for this, Stephen.)

At 11 am, my kitchen filled with five of the most beautiful, intelligent, honest, funny, generous, and loving women I know. I welcomed them into my home knowing full well that I would most likely cry to them about my troubles that day. What I didn't know is that it would be a deep, choking, can't catch my breath sort of sobbing. I also didn't know that others present would do the same thing, for their own reasons.

With these women, I feel safe. And heard. And loved, unconditionally. I said things to them that I had never said out loud before and felt a cleansing deep within myself in doing so. In listening to their troubles, I felt unexpected comfort in knowing that I am not the only one struggling and that, no matter what, these women will always be there for me and never hold me in judgement. I vow the same to them, always.

Soon, it was time for the ladies to go our separate ways. Hugs and words of love were exchanged and as I said my final goodbye and closed the door, I realized I felt better. The crying, the talking, the laughing, the hugs, all of it was cathartic and cleansing and a healthy, much needed dose of perspective. I decided right then and there that it was time for a change, or rather several changes. This stagnant, self-indulgent wallowing is unnecessary and a waste of time, a waste of life! Knowing full well, from past experience, that simply deciding this does not make it so, I have composed the following list of changes that I am currently implementing, my so-called New Life Resolutions:

  1. I resolve to work out. Regularly. I was doing so well, working out 3 to 5 times a week and then, about two months ago, I stopped. I don't know if I stopped working out because I was depressed, or if I got depressed because I stopped working out (chicken or the egg?). All I know is that my mental/emotional health is very closely linked to my physical health; when I am taking care of my self physically, I feel better emotionally.
  2. I resolve to reduce my alcohol consumption (and perhaps, eventually, eliminate it altogether). 
  3. I resolve to take extra good care of myself when experiencing premenstrual symptoms. Since entering my thirties, PMS has become much more severe for me. By taking care of myself during this time (avoiding alcohol, refined sugars, and simple carbohydrates, going to bed early, taking long walks, etc.), I may not be able to eliminate the symptoms, but I can certainly lessen the blow.
  4. I resolve to limit my internet time. The computer is addictive, and my behavior surrounding it is compulsive and sad. I need to cut the cord (okay, maybe just unplug it) and focus on things that actually matter. Like, I don't know, MY CHILDREN.
  5. I resolve to engage in a daily spiritual practice of some sort. I consider myself a spiritual person in the sense that I believe in something greater than myself, an energy that connects us all, and I believe in practicing gratitude and the power of mindful meditation. However, giving thanks for my many blessings once in a while or haphazardly meditating, do not a spiritual practice make. Practice, by definition, is habitual. If I'm going to have a daily habit, I'm thinking prayer sounds like a healthy one to have.
  6. Lastly, I resolve (starting tomorrow, obviously) to go to bed at a decent hour.
Good night, loves. May you all be well.

On the off-chance you're wondering, no, I haven't forgotten about Days 177 - 180. We were on a road trip to Oregon over those four days and the corresponding photos are still in the editing stage.

9 comments:

  1. Ali,

    I admire you for assessing your situation and figuring out what things are amiss that you need to tweak to feel your very best. I think writing down your goals is a fantastic idea. I'm sorry you have been feeling down :(, but you are not alone, as you know from Sunday!

    I loved this honest and open post and seeing more into your world. What a sweetie Stephen is for helping you clean and making your day with your women feasible for you! Your house was spotlessly clean, fresh, cool and inviting. I love your house and your style. It's an eclectic playful environment for adults and children, with a lot of natural simplicity that I love. Loved the music too btw. Thank you for hosting a much needed afternoon for us.

    Since being in my 30's (and especially since I started the Kind Diet, I notice that my body needs the most basic things to thrive and that is all. Anything more (except on occaision)is too much. Often when I am angry or feeling ragey, I need a cool glass of water. Frustrated and sad? I need a 20 minute nap or to go to bed early. Depressed? I just need a little walk. Feeling stretched too thin? I just need an hour of ME time. Alone. A heavy heart? I need to be silent. Achy? I need a bath. It's hard to take out all of the adult stimulation we use to mask our low energy. Coffee, wine, internet, tv, it all ends up being more exhausting.

    Right there with you! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mel, you are wise beyond your years, and so eloquent. All I can say in response to the 3rd paragraph of your comment is YES. Yes. Yes. Yes.

    Oh, and the music? Nina Simone radio on Pandora. Sometimes sultry, sometimes sad, often both, and always, always soulful. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ali, this post was inspiring. I need to adopt many of your resolutions as well!!!

    I'm so glad that we could be there for you when you needed us most. Sunday was definitely a tear jerking, gut wrenching and heart twisting day but really there was also a little magic woven in.

    I've never experienced anything like those few hours we sat in your kitchen. We are truly blessed. Not everyone has THIS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin, I love how you put that "with magic woven in". Is so was. I've never experienced such a connection either so strong, revealing and trusting and letting others help us carry the burdens. So I guess that's one win for being in our 30's eh?

    And Ali, yes, even though we see each other all together only enough times to count on two hands per year, I save all my happiness, sadness and just raw emotion for where I feel the most safe. You ladies are my sanity!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ali, thank you for being so honest and brave on here. I truly can relate with all you said. Girlfriends are definitely some of life's best medicine! You are a beautiful and wise woman and I admire you very much. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melissa, thank you for your kind words. Love you, cousin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so very welcome! I have come to love reading your blog entries! Just finished "product preference". I will be found perusing Amazon later on today. ;-) I share in the same skin woes as you. Genetic? Whatever it is, at thirty, it needs to take a hike! Love you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww, you made my day! Thanks for reading, love!
    Yes, let's tell the skin woes to take a hike! They've been coppin' a squat FAR too long! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, I am way late to this party. (Somehow I missed coming back to this post.) Anyway, I've really enjoyed our talks lately about what you have written about here and I find your continuous self-evaluations inspiring and as always I continue to learn from you.

    ReplyDelete