Monday, June 27, 2011

(Far) Beyond Pretty

I read this fantastic article from the Huffington Post today, posted by a friend on Facebook, and titled How To Talk To Little Girls. I strongly encourage you to read the article. It's a quick and easy read but, more importantly, it carries a very important message, for everyone, regardless of the frequency of your interaction with little girls. But just in case you don't take the time to read it, the gist of the article is this: each and every one of us needs to examine the way we talk to little girls. Too often upon meeting a girl, we open the conversation with a comment on her appearance ("Aren't you a little doll?" "My goodness, you are pretty!" "I love your dress!" "You have the prettiest hair" etc., etc...). Believe me, I am as guilty of this as the rest of you; not only is the focus on female appearance strongly ingrained into our culture, the fact remains that, by and large, little girls are incredibly adorable little creatures! That said, by giving into this urge, we are doing our daughters no favor. Instead, we send the unspoken message that appearance takes precedence over other attributes. We send the message that being pretty is more important than being smart, funny, strong, clever, creative, unique. Is that really a message we want to send to our little girls? Don't they already have enough things telling them that "pretty" is the end-all-be-all in this media-saturated world of reality TV and celebrity obsession, in a world where, as the article states, "twenty-five percent of young American women would rather win America's Next Top Model than the Nobel Peace Prize"?

In my family, I am the middle child of three girls. While I am sure that competition is natural among any and all combinations of siblings, it is my personal opinion that having multiple children of the same sex greatly magnifies this competitiveness. As three girls struggling for our parents' attention, my sisters and I each took on very specific roles: Jessica was the "smart" one (also the "smart-ass" one); Maggie was the "funny, lovable" one; I was the "pretty" one...

(Before I continue, I feel it necessary to state that this is NOT a personal pity party. Overall, I had a very good childhood and I am grateful for everything I have been given, everything I have received. There are many others far worse off than I, but one thing I have learned (and that I am still trying to accept) is that we all have problems, no matter how desolate, privileged, or somewhere-in-between our lives are.)

...This designation as the Pretty One proved to be incredibly damaging to me, for many reasons. Here, in numbered format, are some thoughts that frequently went through my pre-pubescent, pubescent, young adult, and (let's face it) current adult mind:


  1. How can I be the "pretty one" when my sisters are so obviously, physically attractive? Apparently, they've got more going on than me...
  2. If my looks are the most important thing I have to offer to the world, FUCK, I better be perfect.
  3. I am so not perfect. I have acne. I sweat profusely. My eyebrows look like caterpillars. I have a mustache. My hair is too thin. I have hair on my toes. And my knuckles. My armpits are too "fleshy." I have a gut. My butt isn't perky enough. I wish my jawline was more defined. My eyelids are heavy. I have hangnails. I have weird little bumps on my upper arms...the list goes on and on....and on...and on....and on.
  4. I feel like I have more to offer the world. I feel like I am smart. And creative. Like I have ideas that matter, and yet...
  5. And yet...everyone focuses on "the pretty". So. That must be the best I've got to offer.
. . . . . .

The getting older is a funny thing. On the one hand, I am more leveled, more confident, more secure, than I ever have been before. On the other hand, my body is aging (obviously) and, as someone who has focused on her looks as the mainstay of her worth for much of her life, this is disheartening. I will turn 33  on Friday. I am the mother of two children. I now know, deep down, that I am more than pretty. But, my god, the scars remain. I still spend an inordinate amount of time dressing myself before meeting with friends. I still very, VERY rarely leave the house without at least a little makeup. I still post pictures of myself on Facebook or my blog and hope that people will tell me I'm pretty. 

This shit is damaging, mark my words.

And yet, I am now guilty of inflicting the same damage upon my own daughter! I try, believe me, do I try. But the words, "You're so pretty" still come out. (I cringe every time, but they do!)...

. . . . . .


My dear Elinor, please know that you are much, much more than your looks. This may be hard for you to accept; you were "blessed" with eyes as big as saucers and as blue as the Aegean Sea. People are taken aback by them and feel the need to comment on how beautiful they are. This will continue throughout your life, I am sure of it. You are more than your eyes, my love. You are the soul I see within your eyes. You are full of life, whip-smart, intensely creative, and so. fucking. funny. You, my love, are amazing. Please, don't ever sell yourself short of that.

10 comments:

  1. That was a great article Ali, and I loved what you had to say about it, using your own experience as example. This is something I had honestly never thought about until you brought it up to us (I don't know when, maybe book club?) and it made so much sense to me. I've been aware of how I speak to girls ever since and this article with it statistics definitely hit home with me. I hate feeling like as women, our looks are mostly what we are valued for. I hate that men get more handsome and we as women roll around the thought of breast augmentation, eye lift, tummy tuck. And then "what am I thinking!?" It's so common, but so disturbing.

    I had a similar experience to yours growing up, but mine was not so much focused on beauty (maybe cuteness or creativity), but I felt my whole life I fell short of the "smart" compliments as those were reserved for my older brother. There's actually a quote in my baby book "If Melanie grows up to be half as smart as (older brother)..." I don't even want to think about the rest. It was supposed to be a compliment (and not one to be anaylzed years later)and I understand that, but it was just automatically assumed that I was not as smart. But like you, I FELT smart. Still struggling with this one personally and in the work place, and still struggling with the concept of beauty as we age. It's killer, and I'm glad you addressed it and are aware of this in the way that you raise Elinor.

    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ali, I loved reading about your perspective on this issue. I grew up in a house where compliments of any nature were few and far between, be it about personal appearance or smarts. So I do make an effort to tell both Maxton and Mazzy how beautiful they are because all children/people/humans are beautiful in their own unique way, right?! However, I do think it is even more important to build their confidence and show them just how smart and capable (and sassy and chatty) we think they are.

    I can't see Nori ever letting anyone think of her as "just a pretty face." :) What a meaningful/important message you gave your daughter here, Ali.

    Also: I really love Mel's comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister tried to post a comment, but it wouldn't let her, so she sent me an email instead. I am copying and pasting her comment here because it is, quite possibly, the nicest thing that anyone has ever written to me and I want to save it forever and ever here on my blog. I love you, Maggie. You made me cry. Thank you.

    Here is what she wrote:

    You know what's crazy? Right after I saw Bridesmaids for the first time with Jayme (who, of course, couldn't understand why I got so teary when Kristen Wiig and Maya Rudolph sang a Wilson Phillips song together), I couldn't help but share with everyone who asked me how I liked the movie how much it reminded me of you. This you know; that's why I took you to see it. But it wasn't really the movie as a whole that reminded me of you. It was Kristen Wiig who reminded me of you. Yeah, you too kinda look alike, and yes, you are both gorgeous, and some of her outfits (OK, all of her outfits) I could definitely see you wearing. But it wasn't that. It was how FUNNY she was. I've always known how funny you are, Ali. I can say with complete confidence that no one, not ANYONE from my past or present, can make me laugh like you. But you're right--that's not something you've been 'known' for.

    And that is so fucking lame.

    It makes me sad that it took a silly, yet super awesome chick flick to make me realize that, but I still feel grateful that I did. I even said to Jayme, "I mean, Alison is HILARIOUS. I feel like not very many people know that about her."

    And it's not just that, Ali. I told you while we were hanging out how grateful I am every day for my sisters. How privileged I feel to have such wonderful women in my life. What I didn't say is how completely awed I am by both of you. How incredible you both are, and how inspired I feel every time I'm around you. I actually get butterflies sometimes. I know what you've been through and and see the amazing lady you've become, and none of that could be if you didn't have an unbelievable sense of humor, not to mention abounding patience, extraordinary aesthetics, your go-with-the-flow attitude, your acclaimed writing ability (something else you've always been "known" for), and, of course, your keen fashion sense (oh yes, had to put in the Buffy reference).

    I know you weren't asking for this, but I had to get it out. :)

    Ali, as a wise woman once said, "YOU are full of life, whip-smart, intensely creative, and so. fucking. funny. YOU, my love, are amazing. Please, don't YOU ever sell yourself short of that." I mean it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The way Maggie included that last line from your post brought me to tears. You two are so very lucky to have one another (and of course along with Jess.) Well put, Mag.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keri, I too tell my children often how beautiful they are. To me, this feels different than telling my daughter that she is pretty. The word pretty is decidedly surface, where as beauty goes much deeper. It can refer to one's appearance, of course, but beauty is also used to describe who a person IS, beyond how they look. I still find myself saying things like, "You look so pretty, Elinor!" or "Mazzy, you have the BEST hair!" or "I love your dress, Kamea!" And it is comments like that that I want to try and refrain from. But I will never ever ever stop telling my children they are beautiful.

    Mel, thank you for sharing that you experienced something similar, even though you came from a very different family (boy and girl vs. three girls). You are truly one of THE smartest people I know. Every time I talk to you, or read something you write, whether on your blog or your comments on someone else's blog, I am blown away by your wit and insight. It is absolutely maddening to me that we live in a world that would make women like you and me and countless others ever doubt our worth.

    Maggie, to be fair, you certainly bring out in me a humor that very few others are privy to. What can I say? You and me, babe, together we're magic! :)

    Thank you to all three of you for your thoughtful comments. I am truly blessed to be surrounded by amazing women like you.

    Also? You gals are all really pretty. Ha! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need a little explainin' sometimes. (Maybe that's why smarts wasn't mentioned too much in my house.) I see...pretty v. beautiful. So, then Ali and Mel, you gals are soooooo bee-yoo-ti-ful. <3

    I feel very lucky...I'm privy to your humor all the time. You crack me up, lady.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Keri, I hope I didn't come off as rude. I just really really wanted to clarify that I think it is fine, WONDERFUL even, that you tell your children they are beautiful. And I do NOT like your comment downplaying your smarts little lady! Intelligence comes in many different forms. The "fact" that you may not always know how to "properly use a comma" (to paraphrase your own words) does NOT mean that you are not smart. For one thing, your emotional intelligence is light years ahead of mine. You are SO tuned in to people and how they feel, always knowing the perfect thing to say (or not say) to ease them when they are going through tough times, lift them up with sincere praise when they have accomplished something, or make them laugh with your incredibly charming self-deprecating humor. Lady, you graduated magna cum laude from the School of Friendship and I am merely an underclassmen, desperately trying to learn from your wise ways. Okay, that was extremely cheesy, but I mean every word.

    You are also much more of a critical thinker than I am, frequently impressing me with your knack for asking tough questions instead of just jumping on the bandwagon because an idea strikes you as a good one (as I often do).

    Anyway, I could go on and on...I hope you catch my drift amidst all this rambling...

    Love you. You crack me up too, lady. In a MAJOR way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. First of all, Wow Ali, Maggie's comment is maybe the most special gift a sister can give. Filled to the brim with love, encouragement and validation. It made me smile and cry. Having a sister is the shit! And you have two!

    Secondly, I think that first "appearances" often prompt initial responses, because frankly it's what we see first. It may be the first thing we admire about someone. Afterall, it's human nature to be drawn to what is most pleasing to the eyes. Hell, watch National Geographic, most creatures do the same thing.

    And I'll tell ya right now, the only reason I put make-up on and curl my hair is so that I look prettier than I did when I woke up. And so I can't say I'll stop telling you gals that you're pretty, because I like to look at ya'll and your long eyelashes and stylish duds. And those of you with kids...come on, their adorable! :-)

    However, I totally understand and appreciate your message...the balance is way off...and instilling the values in our children that what is in our hearts and minds is what really, truly matters needs to take center stage. Being pretty can be fun, like playing dress-up, but that's not what makes a true friend, lands you that job you WORKED so hard for, or creates the foundation for confidence and integrity.

    It took a lot of courage for you to share this Ali...what a wonderful message for your little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Comment 567,348 from KC: No, of course I didn't think you were being rude, I just found myself rambling on about something unrelated and when I went back to read your post after you explained the beautiful thing, it just made more sense and I wanted to let you know that. :) Thanks for your kind words. I wish I was as prolific with my comments as my friends are. Just know I really love that I get to peek into your mind a bit with your blog... this post was so especially open and honest and I absolutely loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. See? You McClain ladies are so good with the critical thinking skillz!
    My friends are so smart. :)

    And, Erin, I will never stop telling you ladies how pretty you are. That would be near impossible; you are all so stunning! Plus, we're not little girls anymore. The molding of this clay was done a long, long time ago. A few compliments about appearance ain't gonna do no harm at this point! ;-)

    Thanks for your thoughtful comment. <3

    ReplyDelete