Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Re-Thinking Lunch (Project 358: Day 81)

Day 81: Move Over, PB&J

I don't normally go to this much trouble for lunch, but I had a hankering for Mexican today and didn't feel like spending my moola on takeout. Instead, I sauteed some onions, carrots, and bell pepper in olive oil, mixed in some black beans, and seasoned it all with chili powder, ground cumin, black pepper and sea salt. I spooned the mixture into a couple corn tortillas and topped the tacos off with fresh avocado. As a simple side dish, I took a handful of baby spinach and lightly tossed it with Catalina dressing. You may remember from this post the trouble I had at the grocery store one day finding a Catalina dressing that didn't contain HFCS. Well, it turns out that was a site-specific sort of problem (Seriously, Savemart? It's time to step up your game). On a later trip to my usual grocery store, I easily found more than one brand of Catalina without the dreaded ingredient. Anyway, I'm totally glad I went to the trouble to make this for lunch because really, it wasn't any trouble at all! Plus it tasted bomb and was waaaaaay better for us than any Mexican takeout could ever be. Just might have to do this sort of thing for lunch more often. Why should Dinner get all the special treatment?

4 comments:

  1. This seriously is what we just had for dinner (sub chicken for black beans and green beans for spinach salad and I only seasoned with garlic, Tapatio and Kosher salt.)!! So funny!:)

    Y.U.M. Looks delicious, BA!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? That IS funny! You know what they say about great minds... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks good! I've been making Mexican inspired dishes a lot lately too....so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would pay big bucks to eat that in a resturant Ali! Great meal idea! I'm stealing it.

    ReplyDelete