Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Medicinal Sunshine (Project 358: Day 74)

Day 74: Medicinal Sunshine

This past Winter was a wet one, filled with long strings of cold, gray, rainy days, the type of weather that tends to get me down. This year, however, I made a conscious decision not to complain about the weather too much, to instead focus on the positive aspects of rain. We need it. It's nice not having to water the lawn for three or four months straight. It cleanses the Earth and makes everything feel new and fresh. It's an excuse to stay inside, snuggle, read books, have a fire, make popcorn and hot cocoa and cookies, just because. Reminding myself of these things helped to get me through, but I have to admit, there were times when it got to me and I could actually, physically feel my body craving sunshine.

Today I got a dose of that blessed sunshine, at long last. Looking out the window mid-morning, I saw that my entire backyard was filled with glorious golden light. I immediately made the decision to keep Evan home from school; I simply couldn't resist the urge and opportunity to spend the day with my kids, playing and relaxing and soaking in the sunshine.

We stayed outside for literally hours on end and are, in fact, still outside as I write this, old-fashioned style with pen and paper. We built an elaborate town out of wooden blocks and populated it with the kids' extensive collection of animal figures; we drew pictures, with concrete and chalk, with paper and crayons; we ate sandwiches, apple slices, string cheese and cookies; hunted for insects; slid down the slide; talked; listened; laid on the ground and stared at the sky. The clouds were magnificent.

Oh, how this beautiful day filled me up, made me feel whole again. Just what the doctor ordered: medicinal sunshine, and I drank it like a person dying of thirst. Today was a big ol' warm, sweet slice of sunshine pie. I will lock the memory in my mind and revisit it during the inevitable upcoming rainy days of Spring. Before we know it, Summer will be here with her long hot days and perfect, pleasant evenings, filled with gardening and swimming and barbecues with friends, picnics and popsicles and staying up late. I will savor it and try never ever to complain of the heat.

6 comments:

  1. Beautifully put, as usual! I LOVE this photo of Elinor lying on the patio, in her furry coat and sunglasses! Sunbathing like a movie star!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second what your mama wrote. :)

    "Sweet slice of sunshine pie"....what an awesome description of bliss.

    You've made me crave late May and early June like mad. This was so dreamy to read...all things good were in here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes yes yes! You said it, Ali!

    The sun just warms us up from the inside out.

    Your day seemed so perfect and I loved that this came after your Stifled post. Ebb and flow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is one of my favorite photos that I've ever taken of Elinor, and it was just a lucky shot! I laid down on the concrete (to get as much sunshine on my body as possible) and she immediately laid down next to me. Luckily, I had my trusty little PowerShot in my hoodie pocket. :)

    Today was positively perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Ali! I think it's my favorite photo of Elinor too. Glam girl. Love her long blond hair. I'm glad you had a perfect day, those will keep you going for weeks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot to mention one of my favorite lines: "...old-fashioned style with pen and paper". Something so simple yet it made your afternoon feel slow and steady, taking the opportunity to fully absorb all what Mr. Sunshine had to offer. Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete