Thursday, January 20, 2011

2010 Recap

1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?

  • Became a vegetarian.
  • Went on a romantic overnighter with my husband for the first time since we had kids.
  • Grew veggies in my backyard.
  • Gave my son a hug and a kiss and sent him off to preschool.


2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
My resolutions from 2010:

  • Write.
  • Take care of myself body, mind, and soul.
  • Spend more time outdoors, even if it is just the backyard.
  • Challenge myself.
  • Start and maintain an organic vegetable garden.
  • Live life more fully.


My resolutions for 2011:

  • Write more.
  • Read more.
  • Make working out an integral part of my life, a constant, rather than something I do       enthusiastically for a couple of months and then don't do at all for the next couple of months.
  • Continue the vegetable garden, and expand my growing season to include all four seasons.
  • Start a compost pile.
  • Reduce my plastic consumption.
  • Shop at thrift stores (for clothing, decor, housewares) as much as possible before buying new.
  • Slap some paint on the walls of my house.
  • Purdy up the front yard.
  • Become more organized and intentional in my role as "stay-at-home mom."
  • Make a concerted effort to be more affectionate with my husband (meaning hugs and kisses throughout the day). I may not need it, but he does, and I need to honor that.
  • Pay off credit card debt (AGAIN) and this time KEEP IT OFF.


3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Emily gave birth to Mia in October.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, thankfully.

5. What countries did you visit?
None.

6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
More hours in the day? Yeah, that's probably not gonna happen.

7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

  • September - my baby boy started preschool.
  • October - first romantic getaway with the hubby in over 4 years.


8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Totally drawing a blank here...what does that say about me?

9. What was your biggest failure?
I had some parenting moments that I am less than proud of, but no major failures.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
A couple colds, no biggie.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Evan's preschool education, my DSLR, Kinect.

12. Where did most of your money go?
I don't know...mortgage, groceries?

13. What did you get really excited about?

  • Seeing Wicked in SF with my mom and sisters.
  • Fourth of July trip to Oregon.
  • Evan starting preschool.
  • In town overnighter with Stephen for our anniversary.
  • SYTYCD show with Erin and Keri
  • Overnighter in Livermore with my girlfriends.


14. What song will always remind you of 2010?
This song from the cantina scene in Star Wars: A New Hope. Oh my god, I can't get it out of my head.

15. Compared to this time last year, are you:

  • happier or sadder? Hmm...happier, I suppose. Put it this way: definitely not sadder.
  • thinner or fatter? Probably a little fatter. This time last year, I was finishing up the cleanse, so...
  • richer or poorer? Richer


16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Blogging. Reading. Working out. One-on-one dates with my kids.

17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Watching TV. Drinking. Facebook.

18. How did you spend Christmas?
Elinor's birthday party on Christmas Eve with both sides of the family. Christmas morning at home with Stephen and the kids. Visits from Jean (my grandmother-in-law) and my parents later in the day.

19. What was your favorite TV program?
Parenthood, Modern Family, 30 Rock

20. What were your favorite books of the year?
Eating Animals by Jonathon Safran Foer

21. What was your favorite music from this year?
I couldn't even tell you, I'm so out of touch.

22. What were your favorite films of the year?
See answer to #21.

23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
On my actual birthday, I was at home packing for our trip to Oregon and taking care of the kids while Stephen was at work. So awesome.

Oh, and I turned 32.

24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
More/better sleep.

25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
Comfortable, but not sloppy.

26. What kept you sane?
My friends, my husband, my kids, the many wonderful babysitters in my life.

27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.
Never take for granted what you have right now, because everything can change in an instant.

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this. That organic vegetable garden was pretty impressive. :) Also, I think an achievement this year for you would be holding true to your vegetarianism (?)...it's been a year and I think that's pretty impressive for a couple who once enjoyed meat in a few dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alison, You are so perceptive, imaginative, and focused. I so enjoyed reading about 2010 and your plans for 2011. Live it everyday, Love it everyday and love yourself. Forgive yourself for imagined wrongs and those rays of sunny hope will keep you going. Jean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keri, I guess when I read the question, I was thinking of an "achievement" as something I would have worked hard for, something difficult. Becoming vegetarian really wasn't that hard (for me). Now, if I had gone full vegan and stuck with it, THAT would be an accomplishment! Alas, I just can't kick the cheese. :-)

    Jean, your words are so sweet. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete