Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Project 358: Days 17, 18 and 19

Day 17: Me Time
Hot cup of coffee and some time to myself to settle down with a good book in the middle of the afternoon? Yes, please! Having a two-year-old (who naps) and a four-year-old (who goes to preschool) definitely has its perks. (And, yes, I am wearing pajamas.)



Day 18: Now That's What I Call a Salad!
For lunch yesterday, Stephen and I had a taco salad of sorts. Normally, a taco salad would call for romaine, or even iceberg lettuce, but we opted for spinach because a) it packs a mean nutritional punch, b) we like it, and c) it's all we had. Threw in some carrots and bell pepper (and mourned our lack of celery, tomatoes, and avocado), a mix of pinto and black beans (because we didn't have kidney, which I would have preferred), some Smart Ground, Mexican Style, a lil' bit o' shredded cheese, and some crunched up tortilla chips. Growing up, my mom always made taco salad with Catalina dressing and to this day, a taco salad just isn't a taco salad to me without it. But, for the life of me, I couldn't find a Catalina dressing that wasn't loaded with high fructose corn syrup. WHY?? I decided to try French dressing instead, hoping that it would taste similar since both dressings are tomato based. It didn't have the same zing as Catalina, but it was a decent substitute. Overall, Stephen and I gave this salad a thumbs up!



Day 19: Seriously? Another walnut photo?
Back off. I've had a rough day.


11 comments:

  1. Ah, I wanted to ask how far along you gals were in the book and now I have an idea of where you are at! You look cozy in that first pic. Gotta love some peace and quiet in the middle of the day for sure!

    That salad photo made me salivate for taco salad at 7am.

    I could take more walnut photos anytime, anyway. Love the glow from the lamp in the background and the shine from the natural light coming through the window. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I need to get my butt in gear and read a bit faster if I'm gonna finish by the end of February. How far along are you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I din't mean that I, personally, could take more walnut photos, but I would enjoy seeing more from you. (I just reread what I wrote.)

    Umm...gotta go check on where I am at....p.164 (middle of Chapter 4). We're pretty much going at the same pace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew what you meant, silly goose. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm loving all of your photos and your writing, Ali! Looks like you have a really great camera to work with...I'm envious. As far as the book goes, I am still in Chapter 1. :o) I'll get it done, though. Aaaand, maybe you could make your own Catalina dressing? It still has quite a bit of sugar but no HFCS.

    http://www.food.com/recipe/1960s-catalina-dressing-33561

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my goodness, DUH. Thanks, Ariel!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No DUH! Just a thought. I hope it tastes as good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, that looks like "no duh" but it means "not a duh." (I am so over-explanatory.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy smokes, I just looked at the nutrition facts on that recipe: one serving has 613 calories, 54 grams of fat, 32 grams of sugar, and 343 mg of sodium!! It had better be good for all that! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now that I think about it, it doesn't say exactly HOW MUCH equals a "serving." For all I know, it could be a half cup, which would make the numbers a little more reasonable. Most store-bought dressings base their nutrition facts on a 2 Tbsp serving.

    (I too am so over-explanatory.) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so funny, becuse I just sent a FB message to ya'll about the book. Ali, I loved that first pic. It just looks comfy and homey. These days, moments like this (with tea and a book and SILENCE) are treasured! ALso loved the walnut photo...love the glow.

    ReplyDelete