Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year's Resolutions

Since I am writing my very first blog post on the first day of the new year, I thought it would be appropriate to write about my New Year's Resolutions.  I have a good feeling about 2010 and am excited to see what sort of adventures and challenges it has in store.  '09 was a good year.  We survived the threat of job loss and were even able to purchase our first home.  We saw our son turn three years old and our daughter turn one.  The year was filled with countless moments of joy and laughter with our family and friends.  And yet, I can't help but feel like it could have been MORE.  I do not believe in regret and am not one to dwell on the past and will therefore rephrase this thought: I feel like THIS year can, and will, be more.  And so, without further ado, I present to you my resolutions for the new year...

1)  Write.  I fancy myself a writer.  Always have.  This is not to say that I think I am any good.  On the contrary, I feel a tremendous amount of insecurity about the quality of my writing.  However, I enjoy writing.  It helps me to process my thoughts and emotions.  It helps me to quiet and make sense of the chatter in my head.  It, quite often, allows me to express myself to others far more effectively than I ever could face to face.  Also?  It's fun.  And fun is something I need to have more of.  Fun that is not related to my children and is not related to alcohol or television.  So, first and foremost, I resolve to write.  And, looky-here, I'm doing pretty well so far!

2)  Take care of myself, body, mind, and soul.  2009 was not exactly a red-letter year for my health.  My workouts were sporadic, at best.  My diet included lots of cheese and probably not enough vegetables.  I drank too much coffee, too much wine, and not enough water.  The result?  A year of feeling not quite right.  A year of feeling like I didn't quite have the energy necessary for raising two young children.  A year of feeling flabby and unattractive.  This year will be different.  Mark my words.

3)  Spend more time outdoors, even if it is just the back yard.  The fresh air is restorative and necessary for me AND the children.  'Nuff said.

4)  Challenge myself.  This one is pretty vague, but I'm hoping the specifics will work themselves out over the course of the year.  Raising young children is difficult, yes.  Finding time for yourself while raising young children is difficult, yes.  However, I feel that I too often use this as an excuse for sub-par living.  I can be getting more out of life.  I can be doing more.  At the very least, I should be able to finish a goddamned project around the house in a reasonable amount of time!  So, I resolve to push myself, to force myself to be uncomfortable at times.  Because the moments of discomfort more often than not result in personal growth, self-respect, happiness.  Dare I say bliss?  It's possible.

5)  Start and maintain an organic vegetable garden.  Because it would be awesome.  And would also help with Resolutions # 2, 3, and 4.

My final resolution for 2010 is simply to LIVE LIFE MORE FULLY.  Because you never know how much time you have left.  Cliche?  Perhaps.  But you wanna know why?  Because it's true.

Happy new year, y'all.  May 2010 be your best year yet!

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this immensely. I can't wait for what is to come. Love your writing and love you. K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...these are great resolutions! Do you mind if I steal a few? ;-) I'm also inspired this year to be more kind to my body...this is going to take MUCH determinaton..aye aye aye!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed reading this very much. You are quite a good writer! Looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finally! I am so glad you have begun this journey. Just the other day, your Dad and I were talking about you, and one of the things I said was, "I wish she would start writing." Aside from being a great mom, I think writing may be your calling... Keep it up! Love you, sweetie!

    ReplyDelete