Friday, May 11, 2012

Silence Is Golden

I've decided to stop blogging. Whatever positives I believe to gain from the practice, I have decided that they are far outweighed by the negatives. With the obsessive planning of posts that is a constant in my head, the writing of the posts that often keeps me up far too late at night, the odd combination of elation and embarrassment I feel when praised for what I write, the frustration and isolation I feel when my writing is misinterpreted or challenged, the discomfort I have with the inherent narcissism of it all ... I've finally come to the realization that blogging is simply taking up far too much of my time and mental space. I may be back someday, but right now, it just isn't working.

To be quite frank, I'm just plain tired of listening to myself.

"And they write innumerable books; being too vain and distracted for silence: seeking every one after his own elevation, and dodging his emptiness." --T.S. Eliot

"Because in the school of the Spirit man learns wisdom through humility, knowledge by forgetting, how to speak by silence, how to live by dying." --Johannes Tauler

Thank you to all who have read and commented over the past couple of years.
And now I'm off to be present in my life once more. Peace!


6 comments:

  1. Peace be with you, friend.

    On a different yet similar note, I almost wish our group would unplug from FB. Like collectively so I wouldn't miss out on anything...because omg I need to go away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a bit of a mental breakdown last night, culminating in my decision to stop blogging. I also told Stephen that, even though I'm not going to eliminate FB from my life, I've decided to become more of an observer than an active participant. I JUST need to shut. the fuck. up.

      Delete
  2. Love you Ali, I hope you find the respite you need!

    ReplyDelete