Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Best Defense Is A Good Offense

We use creams and powders to even out our skin tone and then, realizing we look washed out, attempt to add back color using bronzers and blushes. We use colored powders and pencils and pens to decorate our eyes; crayons and waxes and sticky gloss to accentuate our lips. We coat our eyelashes with black goo. We smother our skin with potions to make it softer, smoother, darker, lighter, aromatic, youthful. We use creams and waxes, tweezers and razors to rid our bodies of hair. Except for the hair on our heads, which we wash and condition and blow dry and brush, curl or straighten, lighten or darken, tease high or tame. We paint colored enamel on our fingers and toes. We get boob jobs and butt jobs, face lifts and tummy tucks. Botox and collagen and makeup tattooed. We starve ourselves. We gorge ourselves. We make ourselves throw up. We obsess about our weight, our skin, and what we're going to wear. We pick ourselves apart and, far too often, we tear each other down.

Why?


This is me. I'm 17 years old. I'm the one on the right, with the halfway grown out home dye job, black. (Next to me is one of my favorite people in the whole wide world, my younger sister, Maggie.) We're standing in the doorway of my bedroom at the time. As you can see, the walls were plastered with photos clipped from magazines, mostly models, mostly women. (Except for my closet doors, which were reserved for the likes of Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp, Kurt Cobain, and Chris Cornell.) I was obsessed with fashion magazines: TEEN, Seventeen, YM, Vogue, Marie Claire, Mademoiselle, I read them all, and more. I pored over their glossy pages, imitating the poses and postures and facial expressions of the models, gleaning inspiration from the clothing they wore. I spent hours painstakingly cutting my favorite photos to make collages on paper, or my walls, hundreds of beautiful models staring down at me. Surrounded by beauty. I felt it was a hobby. I loved fashion! Fashion was self-expression! Fashion was art! But I was not happy. I was terribly insecure. I picked myself apart and never felt good enough. I was lonely, despite my close network of friends and family. I was depressed. I hid behind clothes. I focused on being pretty in public and wrote angst-ridden poetry in private. I craved attention, and was scared of it at the same time.

I would be foolish to believe that popular culture and my own self-loathing had nothing to do with one another.

And this was in the 90s! Sure, there were fashion magazines and MTV, but come on, the raciest thing on TV was 90210! The internet didn't exist, at least not in the way that it does today, and nobody had cell phones, let alone smart phones. It terrifies and saddens me to think of what teenagers have to contend with today. They are assaulted by the media constantly -- we all are, but our children's brains are still developing in the midst of this. Whether we like it or not, the media plays an enormous role in the raising of our children, and I don't agree one bit with the majority of the messages they're sending. Both men and women are portrayed in severely limiting ways and, through advertising, we are all told that we are inadequate as we are and that we require a seemingly endless number of products to improve ourselves.

The thought of raising my children in this cultural environment quite frankly scares the shit out of me. My children are still young; Evan is five and Elinor only 3. But children have a way of growing up too quickly and before I know it, they'll be out in the world, spending far more time at school, asleep, or with their friends than they do with their father and me. If I want to help my children become confident, secure adults, capable of navigating this crazy ass world, I need to lay the groundwork now. Stephen and I are very judicious about the media we expose our children to, but it's impossible to shelter children forever. As we get older, we spend less and less time with our parents, it's only natural. I won't always have a say in what TV shows my children watch, which games they play, the music that they listen to, certainly not in the way I do now. 

And I don't WANT to! I WANT my children to grow up! I WANT them to become independent! I just want them to know how to do it wisely. I especially want them to know how to do it more wisely than I did.

Will I be able to accomplish this goal? I have no idea. But I'm sure as hell gonna try.

I read a great article recently about a conversation between the author and her 13-year-old daughter regarding whether the daughter would be allowed to wear makeup. (I just read it again and, gosh, it's so great, I really recommend checking it out.) I could just picture myself there, having the same conversation with Elinor, a short ten years from now. (Who am I kidding? Probably sooner.) Except, the author of that article seems to have a fairly healthy adult relationship with makeup. "When I wear makeup, I am choosing to go along with the general idea of how women should present themselves," she says. Sometimes she wears it, sometimes she doesn't. It's always a choice, she doesn't feel bound to it. 

Not every woman feels that way.

It's not that I think makeup in and of itself is harmful and destructive. What CAN be harmful and destructive is our relationship with makeup. How many women out there wear makeup every single day? How many women feel that they are "ugly" without it (or, at the very least, more attractive with it)? How many women feel embarrassed and anxious leaving the house without it? How many women would we barely recognize with a bare face?

I was that woman who couldn't leave the house without makeup. Even for a simple errand, going to the grocery store, or picking my son up from preschool, I had to at least have a little. Some concealer or powder to even my skin, some blush to perk me up. Brush the brows, mascara the lashes, touch o' color on the lips. It made me feel that I was presentable. It made me feel like I would be considered acceptable in the eyes of the world. 

As if my own natural attributes were not enough to even be considered 'acceptable.' What a sad, sad frame of mind to live in.

I finally decided that I had to change. I knew my relationship with makeup was unhealthy. I did not like what I was modeling to my daughter, the idea that a woman cannot leave the house without her "face" on. I was completely uncomfortable with the prospect of her questioning the inconsistencies between my words and my actions; I didn't want to have to make excuses to her. I decided that a much better option was to work on changing my own behaviors so that they are more in line with my values. 

I am happy to say that I am making progress! I no longer wear makeup every day and I even leave the house without it on a regular basis. The first couple of times, I actually had to force myself. Like, Okay, Self, you can do this! You NEED to do this. Consider it a challenge! You love challenges! DO IT. But now I am at the point that it feels pretty normal. I am now downright used to seeing my bare face in the rear view mirror; it no longer startles me. Sometimes, I even think it looks pretty.

(I have also decided to no longer color my hair. I'm liking my natural color these days, even with the grays that are popping up with greater frequency. And I am exploring my relationship with fashion and my over-consumption of the industry's products through my used clothing challenge. So far, I'm learning a lot.)

I don't know that I'll ever get to the point of foregoing makeup altogether. There are some days, the really tired/stressed out/PMS days, where a little bit of makeup (and some coffee) are all I need to feel like I can face the world. And I can't see myself dressing up for date night, or even book club, without some makeup on my face any time soon. But it is important to me to get to a place where I no longer rely on makeup. It is important to me to get to a place where I genuinely believe about myself what I believe about my children: that they are exquisitely beautiful and positively perfect, just the way they are. Because I am. We all are.

I'm not there yet. I still have a looooong way to go. But my hope is that, as she grows older, my daughter will see that I am trying, and respect me for it. I hope that she will see the value of the journey I'm on. I hope that through my actions, as well as my words, I can inspire her to question the status quo and to value herself as a whole person, rather than just a pretty face. As I see it, that is the best defense I have against a world that is doing all it can to make her believe otherwise.

11 comments:

  1. I was considerably less fashion-minded during my childhood, no wherewithal or fashion sense, really. I played follow the leader.

    I have to say, Ali...growing up, I admired you for so many reasons but one thing in particular was for: your individuality. You may have been a slave in your own mind to the pictures you posted on your wall but what I saw was a girl who didn't play by the rules all the time, a girl who used her creativity and imagination to express who she was: On the inside. I found it fascinating how bold you could be, but then very shy and reserved at the same time. I look back and I see the girl you described as having "craved attention, and was scared of it at the same time" and I can see how you would love for Nori to not hide behind her clothing as you felt you did, but know you were seen as much more than a groovy outfit in my eyes.

    Now onto the make-up...omg YES! I would never EVER leave the house as a teenager or 20-something with out make-up. NO freakin' way. Enter my 30's. I couldn't care less about my husband, strangers, or my children (obviously) seeing me without make-up. I think it's a combination of less time, higher priorities and laziness (okay, and no blasted highschool ridden acne) that has brought about this revelation...my face looks fine without it. I'm not going to go as far to say that I look pretty without it, but give me 5 years in therapy. ;)

    I didn't grow up believing I was pretty or beautiful. I want my children to know that every itty bitty part of their body needs to be looked at as a beautiful piece to their beautiful little beings.

    Will I let Mazzy wear make-up? yes. Will I insist she doesn't need it to be/feel beautiful? Absolutely!

    Thanks for this post, Ali. You are such an incredible and insightful mother. And a pretty damn good writer. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keri, I don't know if you realize it, but you have been a huge inspiration to me in the going-without-makeup department. The shift that you describe above has not gone unnoticed! I remember taking way too much time getting myself ready to help out in the preschool classroom (as if the kids or any of the parents gave a rat's ass what I looked like!) and then I'd get there and see you - all fresh faced and lovely. It made me think, I can do this too. I SHOULD do this too. What a colossal waste of time! Without even trying, you helped me to see the futility of what I was doing, and I thank you for that. Love you.

      Delete
    2. Ha! No, I had no idea you noticed my semi-bare face. I know for a fact that I was wearing some type of make-up working IN the classroom, but yes, picking up probably not. Funny thing, you'd show up to preschool looking like you took a shower and ready for the day. I admired your readiness factor. I never thought you looked overdone, just organized enough to allow time for yourself. I give you kudos for that, because rarely had I. :) Thanks for the love, A.

      Really interesting the different perspectives we have. I'm enjoying the conversation. Like Erin said it would be fun to talk face to face.

      Delete
  2. Ditto to Keri's thoughtful comment.

    Also, I would love to revisit this topic in person with you...I have so many thoughts swirling about!!!

    Once of which is are you(are WE??)able to make a clear distinction between creativity and artistry vs. aesthetics and this notion of beauty when it comes to fashion and make-up? Are they not mutually exclusive and is vanity/insecurity always at play?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin, I don't know. That is actually a huge part of my struggle.
      I would love to talk to you about this in person.

      Delete
    2. http://www.girlsgonechild.net/2012/05/thing-of-week-pink-hair.html

      I thought this post combined so many things that you've been posting about, Ali. Shining a different light on pink and celebrating "playing dress-up". I really liked this post and thought I'd share. You may or may not have already read it, so apologize if this is redundant. :)

      Delete
    3. And by "dress-up" I don't mean princesses. I mean sorta like you and your "groovy" outfits in highschool. Just to clarify.

      Delete
    4. I don't think there is anything wrong with dressing up. Heck, I don't even think there's anything wrong with dressing up as a princess! And I don't think pink is evil. In fact, I love the color! What I don't like is the assumption that pink is only for girls and that all girls love pink. What I don't like is the societal pressure placed on women to always look our best and the idea that "our best" requires that we wear makeup, shave our legs, style our hair, pluck our eyebrows, etc.

      I really enjoyed this GGC post. This passage in particular resonated with me:

      "And it occurred to me, as we sat there together, marveling at her hot pink 'do that more than just the hair color being fun and exciting, pink hair gave her control over her body during a vulnerable time. It empowered her to pull the book from her face and rock that swollen lip no problem. In summary: pink hair gave her confidence. Something (happy! exciting! fun!) to identify with."

      High school was a very vulnerable time for me. Hell, it's a vulnerable time for everyone! And experimenting with clothing DID give me some sort of sense of control and confidence at a time when I needed it. Thank you for reminding me of that. Now, the obsession with fashion magazines and models? My self esteem PROBABLY coulda' done without that. ;)

      Delete
    5. That was my favorite quote, too, Ali. It's interesting how our husbands really like us (prefer us) without all the makeup and trendy clothing. It goes against what the media is trying to tell us women. Sure it's fun for them to see us dressing up every now and then but see our beauty without it...I think that's a healthy way to look at the frills and "paint" we put on our face... It's exciting to change it up when we go to dinner or out with the girls and what not. I like feeling different than when I'm home with the kids. So yes I'm in total aggreeance(?)with you. :) I guess I am guilty of not worrying about the outside world right now...I'm too worried about my own downfalls related to parenting, I have not had time to worry about what the media is doing to them! Ha!

      Delete
    6. Oh my goodness, I am SO glad our husbands enjoy seeing us "done up" once in awhile but ultimately prefer us au naturel. That fact alone has made this transition for me MUCH easier (Thank You, Stephen!). Keri, thanks for helping me get to a place where I am more comfortable with my "relationship" with makeup, both by (unknowingly) inspiring me to go bare-faced more often and by reminding me here that a little vanity here and there isn't the WORST thing in the world (and certainly not worth beating myself up about). Love you like a sister from another mister! ;-)

      Delete
  3. Good question, E! That was running through my mine as well, reading this post.

    ReplyDelete