Monday, May 14, 2012

On Fashion, Makeup, And Feminism...Again.

A few days ago, I wrote a post stating my intent to cease blogging and yet here I am today, compelled once more to write. I've been doing a lot of thinking over the past few days about my Best Defense post, and I've come to some conclusions that I'd like to share.

I've fallen down a bit of a rabbit hole in regards to feminism of late. It's easy to do, what with the plethora of information about any topic imaginable available at your fingertips 24 hours a day. I'd been reading like crazy -- some of it uplifting, some depressing, lots of it downright frightening -- and while I believe it is important to stay informed about the issues one cares about, I also believe it is possible to hit a point of over-saturation. When this happens to me, it creates a sort of tunnel vision that distorts the big picture and causes me to become confused about how I really feel. It can also be kind of a drag and a real drain on my emotional well-being.

Yes, I was obsessed with fashion growing up. Yes, I was also incredibly insecure. Yes, I do believe there is a link between the two. As a teenager trying to figure out how she fits into the world, it can't be helpful to the self-esteem to constantly stare at the faces and bodies of the most beautiful women in the world, particularly when their beauty has been "enhanced" by lighting and makeup, clever pinning of clothing, and of course, Photoshop. I wanted desperately to live up to those images, but knew that I never could. There's a certain amount of insecurity that just comes with being a teenager, it's part of the deal, if you will. But I definitely wasn't doing myself any favors with my model obsession.

But what I realized the other day after extensive correspondence with my best friend (slash therapist slash Restorer of my Sanity) is that my own experimentations with fashion in high school were, in a lot of ways, a boost to my self-esteem. I was terribly shy as a teenager. And I mean bona fide social anxiety shy. Profuse sweating, increased heart rate, crippling nervousness: these were things I experienced on a daily basis. Clothing gave me an outlet for expressing myself without having to say a word. And I used that outlet to the fullest extent possible, dressing myself in ensembles that were unique, provocative, silly, and strange. It amuses me now to imagine what my parents must have thought of some of the clothing combinations I put together, but I am forever grateful that they allowed me to express myself in this way. As a shy, insecure teenager trying to define herself, in a lot of ways, fashion was a life-saver. What if, instead, I had turned to drugs and alcohol as a way to cope with my shyness? My life may have turned out far differently than it has.

(Actually, as I wrote that last sentence, it occurred to me that my eventual move towards more conventional/trendy clothing and my eventual experimentation with drugs and alcohol happened simultaneously, when I went away to college. Interesting.)

My relationship with fashion and makeup has changed considerably over the years, especially since becoming a mother, and particularly since the birth of my daughter. As I wrote about in Best Defense, I've been working on becoming more comfortable with the face I was given, sans makeup. I still believe this to be a healthy endeavor and I feel good about continuing that process, but I'm also starting to realize that I'm being too hard on myself. I like to wear makeup sometimes! It's not like every time I put it on I'm staring into the mirror hating myself. On the contrary, it often feels like a much-needed dose of self-pampering! And I enjoy piecing together a sharp little outfit for a lunch date with the hubby or a night out with the ladies. It makes me feel good and, gosh darnit, I really don't think there's anything wrong with that! Does it define me as a person? No. Is it frivolous? Sure, but who the hell cares?! People do all sorts of frivolous things for pleasure. It's called entertainment. And in a world that is, in a lot of ways sad and scary, a little bit of fun and entertainment is not only okay, it's necessary.

Feminism is about equal representation, equal opportunity, and equal rights. It is not about making yourself feel guilty for deriving pleasure from something as frivolous as fashion. And anyone who believes you can't be a feminist and still love fashion has a very narrow view of the world, in my humble opinion. (Thank you, Keri, for helping me to remember that about myself.)

When I think of the type of person I want to be, for myself and as a model for my children, I think of someone who cares passionately about what is happening in the world; someone who does their best to make the world a better place; someone who doesn't necessarily need to talk about their morals and ethics but does their best to live by them; someone who is kind and loyal and free; someone who makes mistakes and learns from them; and, perhaps above all, someone who chooses to live joyfully, to laugh wildly and often, to love with abandon, and find pleasure in the little things.

It is important to me to continue to learn and grow, but if I beat myself up or allow myself to succumb to The Heavy, I am robbing myself of potential love and joy. Without those things, well, I really don't see much point to living at all.


5 comments:

  1. "When I think of the type of person I want to be, for myself and as a model for my children, I think of someone who cares passionately about what is happening in the world; someone who does their best to make the world a better place; someone who doesn't necessarily need to talk about their morals and ethics but does their best to live by them; someone who is kind and loyal and free; someone who makes mistakes and learns from them; and, perhaps above all, someone who chooses to live joyfully, to laugh wildly and often, to love with abandon, and find pleasure in the little things."

    You just wrapped yourself up in a nutshell. I admire you very much for all the reasons you listed above. Thanks for always reminding me that changing and improving oneself is absolutely good for the soul. Love you, A.

    Our friendship is one of MY most meaningful joys. Love, K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keri, you just made me cry with that last line! Mine too, love, mine too.

      And as far as the attributes I listed go, well, it's what I STRIVE for, but I definitely trip - a lot - along the way. Thanks for sticking through it all with me and always seeing the best in me (even when I was acting my worst). You are irreplaceable! (So don't ever leave me, ya hear?!) ;-)

      Delete
  2. I feel like these last two posts were supposed to happen just as they did. This particular one left me smiling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, good! You're back! I didn't even have a chance to comment on the last goodbye post, and here you are! :)

    I'm so glad you've discovered you can be everything you want to be. Feminist, lover of fashion and art, make-up wearing poetry reading, jeans and a clear face organic farmer kind of a woman. It's all good if your intentions are good. You are so great just the way you are.

    It's really amazing being a woman, isn't it? We can fight for equality and we can demand it. We can do anything men can do. But we can also be soft and feminine at the same time, choosing to wear something that demands attention, and changing our eye make up to look more dramatic. Such a fun gender to be in my opinion. I just saw MissRepresentation with Mark. We enjoyed it. Before, I was nervous about highlighting my hair and wondering if I shouldn't go for a more natural look even though my self confidence is boosted and I feel best blond. Once I saw the movie and realized the narrator is a highlighted blonde too (although she is more natural blonde than I), who takes great care of herself and her body. We can be everything we want to be, and that is pretty awesome.

    I know what you mean by the rabbit hole. I have been SUFFERING over here with my diet. I feel immense guilt over giving up a vegan lifestyle to a more veggie one (minus the veggies because those are not going over well with me). I've just come to the conclusion that right now my health is most important, and if eggs and fish and cheese is how I'm going to get my nutrients and satisfy my body, I need to take care of me. I've been reading girl gone child and saw on her 9 week twin pregnancy post she wrote "pregnavore" and that "pregnancy cravings are stronger than food ethics" which for me was the realization that I was being too hard on myself. Sometimes the issues are a gray area.

    ReplyDelete