Wednesday, January 4, 2012

We Have the Power to Effect Change! (But First, Let's Eat.)

One of my greatest pleasures since switching to a plant-based diet (precisely two years ago, today) is to serve homemade vegan food to an omni and have it well-received. When I find a recipe (or, occasionally, just whip something up off the top of my head) that gets good reviews from both the herbies and the omnis in my life, I feel the need to share it. While many people may never have the desire to switch to a completely vegetarian or vegan diet, the evidence is mounting that movement towards eating more plant-based meals overall is in our best interest, for many reasons.* If each and every one of us committed to eating more plant based meals - even if it's just cutting out animal products one day a week - we could effect some serious change! Together, we have the power. Let's use it!

You can start by trying out this recipe for a meatless Curry Salad Sandwich. The recipe is from the book Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food by Alicia C. Simpson, but I adapted it a little to suit my own tastes. I find it to be a great substitute for chicken or tuna salad and it pairs well with some leafy greens and sweet potato fries.

Ingredients
One 8-ounce package tempeh, any variety
2 cups vegetable stock
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise (I use Vegenaise)
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sweet relish
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/2 teaspoon kelp granules (if you don't have this on hand, you could substitute with salt)
1/2 teaspoon stone-ground mustard (I omitted this ingredient because I didn't have any)
1/4 cup diced celery
8 slices whole-grain or sprouted bread

Directions

Simmer the tempeh in stock for 25 minutes. Discard any excess stock and set the tempeh aside to cool.
Grate the cooled tempeh into a medium bowl. (I discovered that I don't even own a grater, so I just broke the tempeh apart with my (freshly-washed) hands. I suppose you could also use a food processor.) Add the mayonnaise, relish, onion, kelp powder, mustard, and celery, and stir to combine. Spoon onto the bread and close the sandwiches.

This recipe is delicious as is, but I prefer to add dried cranberries, chopped cashews, and about a teaspoon of curry powder to the mix. (Hence the name Curry Salad Sandwich. In the book, the recipe is titled Tuno Tempeh Sandwich.) Alternate add-in options: golden raisins, gala apples, red grapes, walnuts, almonds, sunflower or pumpkin seeds. Also, feel free to add any toppings that please you - lettuce, tomatoes, sprouts, shredded carrots - the more veggies the better! I wish I had a photo to share, but this meal is typically devoured before I even think of picking up my camera.

Happy eating!

*The UN issued a report stating that lesser consumption of animal products is necessary to save the world from the worst impacts of climate change. (Source) Going further into detail, they stated, "Current patterns of production and consumption of both fossil fuels and food are draining freshwater supplies; triggering losses of economically-important ecosystems such as forests; intensifying disease and death rates and raising levels of pollution to unsustainable levels." (Source) "Agriculture, particularly meat and dairy products, accounts for 70% of global freshwater consumption, 38% of the total land use and 19% of the world's greenhouse gas emissions," the report stated. (Source) Meat and dairy consumption have also been strongly linked to heart disease, diabetes and cancer, and plant-based diets have been shown to reduce or even reverse the risk or effects of these deadly diseases. (Source)

3 comments:

  1. It WAS so delicious! And now I have the recipe. :) Booyah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ali, I love this post! I like to get my hands on any kind of information I can about how plant based diets can change the world and our bodies, and I especially like hearing it filtered through you, in a nice concise fun post - with a recipe! I'm so glad you posted it. I always worry that omni's won't like my cooking, so I'm glad you posted one that is tried and true!

    You're so good at explaining all this lady. Each time I hear it, it helps me explain it to others better without rambling on. Takes some practice, but you are totally my go-to green gal. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was so so good! Loved the addition of curry (always a bonus!), cranberries and cashews! YUM!

    ReplyDelete