Monday, January 2, 2012

My Love/Hate Relationship With Sac Natural Foods Co-op

LOVE:
1) Most of their shit is organic, and clearly marked so.
2) A whole lot, if not most, of their shit is local, and clearly marked so.
3) They have a huge selection of bulk products - anything you can think of - cereal, nuts, dried fruits, quinoa, rice, beans, nutritional yeast, flour, tea, coffee...the list goes on and on.
4) They recycle wine corks. Save 'em up, bring 'em in, feel a little better about your drinking problem.
5) Speaking of bulk products, they also sell bath and beauty products in bulk - shampoo, conditioner, body wash, laundry detergent, and my personal favorite: lotion! I am hopelessly addicted to body lotion - have been for years - and have been feeling increasingly guilty about the number of plastic tubes I go through during the course of a year. (I've also grown tired of scissoring off the bottom and washing the tube out in order to recycle it - ugh, SUCH a hassle!) Now, all I have to do is take my reusable bottle into the co-op, fill it up with Alba Botanica Very Emollient Body Lotion and I'm good to go. Moisturized skin + no waste = happy Alison.
6) I'm sure there are a lot more things I love about the co-op, but I'm starting to feel a little lazy and kinda' want to finish what I've started here and go park my butt in front of the TV. Hey, I'm just being honest.

HATE (Such a strong word. Let's try DISLIKE):
1) Somehow, the co-op makes me think I want to buy things that I really don't. Wasabi flavored seaweed crisps? Sounds like a healthy snack, right? Also tastes like ass. Don't buy it. Trust me.
2) Every time I go there, I manage to spend approximately $242.53. On four bags of groceries. When, tell me WHEN will it be more affordable to buy local, organic, healthy food than it is to buy a Happy Meal? America, get it together.

That is all, good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment