Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Eco Tip Tuesday: BYOB!

In an attempt to add a little more focus and structure to my blog (because I like to pretend I'm a real writer with lots of important things to say, kind of like a grown up version of playing office), I've decided to start posting a weekly eco tip. I can't promise that I'll have a tip every single week, but gosh darnit, I'm gonna try! So....

Hello! And welcome to Eco Tip Tuesday*! Today we'll be discussing reusable shopping bags. Most of you, like me, probably already have a supply of reusable grocery bags that you've been using for years. (If not, please get some! I don't think there's a single grocery store in the country that doesn't sell them, and they're usually only a couple bucks per bag.) So, I've got these bags and, like I said, I've been using them for years. And I'm really good about remembering to bring 'em too! Still, every time I go to the grocery store, I end up bringing home a whole mess of plastic bags because I buy a lot of produce and bulk items. I was starting to feel really bad about this (in case you haven't heard, plastic is causing big problems for this lovely planet we call home) and decided to look into other options.

A quick search for "reusable produce bags" on Amazon led me to a plethora of other options. I ended up settling on Bring It's Valencia Reusable Produce Bags, for a few reasons:

  1. A set of ten large (12" x 14") bags cost $10.10. This seemed like a pretty good deal to me.
  2. They are made from 60% polyethelyne terephthalate, a polyester-based material made primarily of reclaimed plastic bottles. So, by using them, I am not only reducing my plastic consumption, but also supporting the reuse of existing waste.
  3. They are see-through, allowing the store clerk to ring up my veggies without having to remove them from the bag. This would not be possible had I purchased the (much more expensive) cotton canvas bags.
I used them for the first time the other day and, you guys, I totally love them! My apples, broccoli, celery and kale love them too.


They're super light-weight, roomy enough for everything I buy, and they've got handy little drawstrings to keep everything contained. They also seem to be pretty durable, although only time will tell that for sure. I have discovered a few negatives: 
  1. Because they are mesh, if the produce you're buying is at all wet, any surface you set the bags on will be too.
  2. These are not ideal for most bulk items. I suppose they could work for some things, such as nuts or dried fruit, which I would transfer to a glass canister at home anyway. But flour? Nutritional yeast? Quinoa? Mesh simply isn't gonna work with items like that. For now, I'm trying to reuse the plastic bags I've gotten in the past for such items, but I'd love to find something more durable. Thoughts?
  3. They are also not ideal for storing produce in the refrigerator. Again, to solve this problem, I am currently reusing old plastic bags, but if anyone out there has any other ideas, I'm all ears.
Okay, so I guess that's it for our first edition of Eco Tip Tuesday! Come back next week when we'll be talking about...er, something eco related? Yeah, I should get on that. In the meantime, if you're going to the store, remember to BYOB! We wouldn't want this to happen to you...




*Eco Tip Tuesday General Disclaimer: I am not perfect. Nor do I claim to have all the answers. I'm simply a human being who happens to think this planet we call home is pretty special, worthy of our love and protection. As such, I've made it a personal mission to reduce my negative impact and increase my positive impact on the world. Eco Tip Tuesday is a space for me to share what I've learned. And I am WAY open to feedback. So if you've got something to say, let's talk!

7 comments:

  1. Ha! I bought three similar bags at Raley's a couple months ago, and when I used them at Raley's today, the checker said, "These are cool. Where did you get them?" I think I paid $2.99 for three, but I'm not sure they still have them, since their employees don't even know about them. ;-)

    Fyi... not sure this is very eco-minded, but I read somewhere that wrapping celery in aluminum foil will keep it crisp longer than plastic, and guess what? It works! Now, if we could just find reusable aluminum foil...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited for this series....and just so ya know, I've swapped my bathroom cleaning agents for vinegar and baking soda thanks to you! Aside from eco-friendly, it's so easy, effective and CHEAP!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom, that's interesting about the aluminum foil...I hate how quickly celery gets all "bendy."

    Erin, really?! That's so cool! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. your eco tips are a great idea alison! and kay, unlike other 'recyclable' materials, aluminum foil is really good, saving 95% of the energy it takes to re-mine bauxite from the ground. and, if you roll it carefully enough, you can reuse it a time or two.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, thanks for weighing in on the aluminum foil issue, Pete! Good to know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The clip was so funny. I forgot my bags the other day and felt obligated to buy more. :)

    I haven't found a good solution to this either. Usually I stack all my produce inside one small produce bag and have them kind of pull it all out and move all the stuff around inside. I'm sure they love that. And another time when I had one of those cute little carts that didn't look too disgusting, I just put all my produce in the top section of the cart since I wash it anyway, but...I guess it was dry that day, didn't think of how to handle that if it was wet produce!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And then how do you store your produce once you get it home? Do you just put it in the crisper, bagless? Does that keep them fresh?

      Delete