Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Fashionable Honey Badger (Project 358: Day 122)

One of Elinor's latest obsessions is choosing outfits for her brother and herself and carefully laying them out on the floor. She will NOT get dressed until both outfits are complete -- shoes and a hat are a must -- and everything is arranged "just so." If you accidentally bump into her masterpiece and a square inch of fabric gets out of place, she will FREAK. And if you deliberately try to change something, say switching the shoes to the correct "feet," well you had better look out. The girl may be small, but she's as vicious as a honey badger, mark my words.

Just recently, she started requesting that I take photos of her ensembles. I comply because I think it's funny but also because I have learned my lesson: if our goal is to leave the house in a reasonable amount of time, our best bet is to OBEY THE HONEY BADGER.

Below is a recent outfit that she picked out for her brother:


And this is what she chose for herself on the same day. The girl has a style all her own.


Having quieted Elinor's inner honey badger by complying with her requests, I then had a little request of my own: pictures! Below are my little ones modeling their ensembles. I like how Evan conveys his love for his sister with a kiss on the top of her head, while at the same time wrapping his arms around her neck as if to remind her that he could seriously hurt her if he wanted to. Elinor seems aware of this dichotomy and appears to be planning her escape from his grasp. You may also notice that she decided, at the last minute, to switch out the straw "Easter hat" for a striped beanie. Good call, HB, good call.


I pushed my luck and asked for one more photo, with me. Somehow, I snapped this pic, which I think is pretty darn cute, right before all hell broke loose. The kids started fighting over who could sit on my lap, refusing my offer to allow them to share my lap. Punches were thrown, claws came out, and finally I was forced to channel my own inner honey badger. Thank god there was no one around to take a photo of that.

Day 122: Cheeeese!

3 comments:

  1. These kiddos crack me up...you can read so much into the pic of them embracing. Gotta love siblings! The last photo is darling! Your always so put together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellie must get her passion for fashion from Mama. Cute pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilarious post! I especially love the photo of Ellie's expectant little legs patiently waiting for you to snap a photo of her ensemble. Nice pic of all of you. Love it so much.

    ReplyDelete