Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Kid Feet

Your feet are no longer
the soft, chubby feet
of a baby.

The soles are toughened,
the skin thick
and protective:
kid feet.

Play jump run
dance skip climb
fall and scrape
and get back up again
for more.

These feet
refuse sneakers,
delight in galoshes,
and tolerate sandals,
but prefer to be free,
wearing nothing at all.

I love these feet,
kiss them, sniff them,
wiggle their toes.

I warm them
when they are cold,
wash them when dirty,
love every moment with these
beautiful kid feet.

These feet will grow...
play jump run
dance skip climb
explore and
someday leave
this home.

I do so hope
they return
often.

3 comments:

  1. It warmed my heart, reading this. On a trying day, like this one, I needed a reminder to breathe and take it all in. Their feet and even the gazillion coughs into my face. Loved this AND the photo above of Ev's "kid feet". Precious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the feeling of grass under my feet...love this photo! Sweet poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Missing me some Planet X. Just sayin'. Can't wait to see you tomorrow! <3 ya.

    ReplyDelete