Thursday, April 28, 2011

Self Portrait Series - 1 (Project 358: Days 108 - 110)

Our Spring Break was a busy one this year. My younger sister got married on Friday, so the days leading up to the big event were filled with the bachelorette party, the rehearsal dinner, and many frantic moments trying to tie together all the loose ends. It was a lot of fun, and it was wonderful getting to spend so much time with family, but by the end of it, Stephen, the kids, and I were all completely worn out. Hence our decision Monday night, the last night of Stephen's vacation, to order takeout from our local Japanese restaurant, Ninja Sushi. We ordered vegetable tempura, miso soup, and kappa maki (cucumber roll). As always, it tasted fantastic and was worth every penny.

Day 108: End Of Vacay Take-Out


The morning Stephen had to go back to work, Evan got up early to spend some time with Daddy before he had to leave. This has become their pre-work ritual. They chat and eat breakfast together while Elinor and I laze around in bed a while longer, lightly dozing. When it was time for Stephen to leave, Elinor was still asleep, so Stephen turned on a movie for Evan in the living room and kissed the three of us goodbye. A few minutes later, Elinor woke up, climbed out of bed, and headed down the hall to see what her brother was up to. I layed in bed a few moments longer, wishing I could let myself drift softly to sleep, but knowing that leaving my children to their own devices was a very bad idea. Grudgingly, I pulled myself out of bed, put on my slippers and glasses and headed down the hall, wondering what sort of scene I would find. Elinor singing and dancing on the kitchen counter using my chef's knife as a microphone? Evan hiding in a corner eating an entire bag of dark chocolate M&Ms? These children were capable of anything.

Much to my surprise and delight, I found the two of them snuggled under a blanket on the couch together, watching a movie and looking at the pictures in a big book of children's poems. I smiled and kissed them, took a photo to capture the precious moment, and thought, Hmmm...maybe I should go back to bed... (Don't worry, Stephen, I didn't. I know better than to push my luck.)

Day 109: Angels (When They Want To Be)


When I first started this Project 365 I remember reading on the Flickr website a suggestion to take a photo of yourself at least once a month. I thought this was a good idea and decided that I would give it a go. Before I knew it, January had passed and I had not taken a photo of myself. February and March soon followed, both lacking the inclusion of a self-portrait. Last night, I put the kids to bed and was sitting down on the couch for some much-needed veg time when I realized I hadn't taken a photo yet. Feeling uninspired to photograph anything in my house, I decided to take a self-portrait. Hopefully I will remember to do the same for the remaining eight months of the project. This rapid aging process I seem to be experiencing lately must be documented!

Day 110: Self-Portrait, April 2011

6 comments:

  1. I will comment in more detail at a later time, but I just had to comment on that last photo. I see so many wonderful things in the woman staring back at me. I love the idea of taking a self portrait every month, especially if it's you doing it. You have developed into quite the amazing mother, wife, and friend, Alison May. This is a beautiful photo, as you are inside and out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I just love that photo of your two babies snugglin' the couch. Ellie has the sweetest expression on her face. And Alison, you are beautiful, love your self portrait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I'm back! Your babies are making the same 'silly face'...boy do they look similar(!), it's crazy! What a great moment for a parent to witness. :)

    Agreed, Ninja is def good eats! Fun takeout! I feel you on the "wiped out" feelings after Spring break. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, ninja sushi!

    I love that photo of your children, they are practically glowing, they look so cute and cozy. Little angels :)

    Your eyes are unbelievably gorgeous. Lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You ladies are the sweetest, thank you for your super nice comments!

    Keri, if I am any of those things you mentioned, you have most certainly played an important role in my becoming. Thank you, life-long friend. <3

    Mel, you've got some mighty purty peepers yourself, little lady.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah Mel, you're a purty peeper person, too!

    ReplyDelete