Sunday, April 3, 2011

Thrift Store Finds (Project 358: Day 85)

The sun came out last week, for the entire week, and is still shining bright now as I write this. The temperature has ranged from the mid-70s to low 80s, and I have been loving every moment of it, spending as much time outside as possible. In between playing in the backyard and taking trips to the neighborhood park, I had to run a couple of errands, to Target to buy various household items, and to Old Navy to exchange a sweater I bought online for a different size (which they didn't have, darn it). Walking in to Old Navy, I was overcome with a very strong urge to spend, spend, spend! They had just received a new shipment of Spring clothing: sundresses, flowy skirts, shorts, capris, tank tops and flip flops in every color you can imagine. I felt like a kid in a candy store, my eyes wide with excitement.

And then I remembered something, a New Year's Resolution I made waaaaay back in January, that I haven't even begun to fulfill yet: "Shop at thrift stores (for clothing, decor, housewares) as much as possible before buying new." Hm. Well, I really don't think Old Navy qualifies as a thrift store, so I gathered up every ounce of resolve I had in my body and left the store empty handed. I made plans in my head to visit a thrift store later in the week.

On Thursday, I headed to Thrift Town in Carmichael to see what kind of second-hand goodies I could find. I love Thrift Town because it is huge and super-organized. Clothing is sorted not only by type (pants, shirts, dresses, etc.), but also by size and color. This really cuts down on the amount of time you have to spend digging for gold.

This is what I found:

Day 85: Thrift Store Finds
  • Blue Corduroy Pants, BCBG Max Azria, $3.99
  • Yellow Plastic Pendant Earrings, Brand Unknown, $1.99
  • Vintage Belted Dress, Ann Taylor, $3.99

When I say vintage, I'm talking 80s vintage. I mean, look at the wide belt. And, the thing has shoulder pads. Still, I kind of see it as an 80s era nod to the 40s and think if I removed the shoulder pads and possibly had it shortened to about knee-length, it could be pretty cute. Here is a picture of the fabric up close (it looks almost black in the photos, but is actually navy blue):




And here is closer view of the earrings:




I love, love, love the color yellow, but it is not the most flattering shade for my skin tone. Accessorizing with it is an easy and fun solution to this predicament. These earrings allow me to delight myself with the sunny shade without making myself look like death warmed over. They provide the perfect pop of color to a basic jeans and tee or black and white ensemble.

While standing in the checkout line, I noticed this giant tub of foam stickers shaped like the letters of the alphabet: 




It was brand-new, completely full and priced at $1.99. I decided it was too good a deal to pass up, considering this sort of thing would cost roughly 5 bucks at a place like Michael's. The kids have been having fun crafting with them, but I may end up donating the tub to Evan's preschool classroom.

So, to recap, I purchased a pair of pants, a vintage dress, a pair of earrings, and a Tub O' Foamies Stickers all for the low price of $11.96 plus tax. It didn't exactly cure my urge to buy pretty Spring clothing, but overall, I think the trip was a success.

The Sacramento area is loaded with thrift stores, antique stores, and cool second hand clothing shops. I look forward to checking out more of them in the future, indulging my urge to shop, without the guilt of creating more waste. Win-win!

4 comments:

  1. Love that your are posting about fashion finds! You excel in that department and I just admire your style sooo much! Great goodies, you got there. I agree that Thrift Town is such a nice, clean and organized place to shop at(Carmichael anyhow)...I need to go again with no expectations. The one time I went I didn't find the boots I'd been hoping for but I found a couple cute dresses for Mazzy! I hope you continue posting about the little jewels you find. And those earrings and skirt? Love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorted by size and color? Awesome! Sounds like a fun place to peruse.

    Can't wait to see the finished product....love the polka dots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keri, you are so right on about going into it with no expectations. Any time I go thrift store shopping with a specific idea in my head about what I'd like to find, I end up disappointed. This happens even in regular stores, but it's even worse with second-hand!

    I hope I actually end up wearing the dress sometime, but I can't say I'm sure that I will. If I don't, at least I know it was only $3.99!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see you in the polka dots Ali. Great find! I just do not have a knack for picking out second hand clothes, in fact I have a hard time picking out clothes in regular stores. I admire you for leaving Old Navy without purchases and making an effort to honor your resolution! I hope you post more of your finds, so fun to see what you choose!

    ReplyDelete