Saturday, April 14, 2012

The Rainbow Connection

Evan's kindergarten teacher had a little talk with Stephen the other day when he came to pick Evan up after school. Apparently, Evan has the tendency to sing while he's working. His teacher has told him to stop multiple times, but she says it's almost as if he doesn't realize he's doing it. And that could certainly be the case. We have music on all the time at home; we're constantly singing and dancing around here. And you know how it is when you've got a song stuck in your head. Sometimes you find yourself singing it without really even thinking about it. At least I do, particularly when my hands are busy doing something.

Mrs. Clarke, I am sorry my son is interrupting your class. I really, truly am. I know it can't be an easy job managing a class of 25 wily kindergartners for 3 1/2 hours a day, 5 days a week, and I respect you for the work that you do. We have spoken to Evan about when it is appropriate to sing and when it is not and we have tried to show him some ways to be more aware of what he is doing in the classroom.

But, you guys, the song Evan sings in class is The Rainbow Connection. If he's going to get in trouble, I really can't think of a sweeter infraction. And although I hope he is able to control himself in the future and not interrupt the class with his lovely, if occasionally off-key, singing voice, I really can't help but smile at the thought of it.

In honor of my sweet little dreamer, who gets lost in song while doing his school work, I share with you the lyrics to one of our very favorite songs around here...

The Rainbow Connection
Written by Paul Williams and Kenneth Ascher

Why are there so many songs about rainbows
and what's on the other side?
Rainbows are visions, but only illusions,
and rainbows have nothing to hide.
So we've been told and some choose to believe it.
I know they're wrong, wait and see.
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection.
The lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Who said that every wish would be heard
and answered when wished on the morning star?
Somebody thought of that and someone believed it.
Look what it's done so far.
What's so amazing that keeps us star gazing
and what do we think we might see?
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection.
The lovers, the dreamers, and me.

All of us under it's spell. We know that it's probably magic.

Have you been half-asleep and have you heard voices?
I've heard them calling my name.
Is this the sweet sound that called the young sailors?
The voice might be one and the same.
I've heard it too many times to ignore it.
It's something that I'm supposed to be.
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection.
The lovers, the dreamers, and me.

*   *   *

And, for your viewing pleasure, one of my favorite versions of the song, performed by Kermit and the impossibly cool Debbie Harry, during her guest stint on the Muppet Show in 1981:



Debbie, I just dig songs about rainbows too.

Don't you?

7 comments:

  1. This just made me smile. We too have singing busy bodies and I find it immeasurably delightful to watch them hum and sing their way through the day. So sweet for you to have written your "letter" down to Mrs. Clarke to reread someday with Ev. You foster such a creative and loving environment for your children. I admire you so much for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this... It so paints a sweet picture of your little boys personality as well as the kind of creative childhood he's being raised to have. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, Debbie Harry reminds me of Michelle Pfeiffer here. (Is that just me?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice... miller is sitting here doing his homework as i played this song. he said this was a 'flashback' to his 'graduation ceremony' from the fouth grade (lower school) to fifth, middle, when they sang this song. flashback for me too, to that time, and to when i first heard the song from kermit in the muppet movie. thanks. also a big fan of iz's over the rainbow. good luck with gently guiding the teacher...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  5. That is the sweetest story of Ev. What a happy little soul. :) I can picture it. And really? The teacher had to put the kabosh on him singing that song? I can't imagine him BELTING it out so that everyone stops working and stares at him. Geez!

    This was one of my piano recital songs. :) Always loved it.

    Speaking of muppets, have you seen the documentary Being Elmo on Netflix. Good film!

    ReplyDelete